Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide with Ooni Sear and Pizza #theoysterbed

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited February 2020 in Off Topic

Flat Iron Steak. Searing with the sausage was a mistake.
Fat in sausage drown out the steak juice.
1st seared steak was fantastic though.
Ooni worked great for searing.
still not at a happy spot with the pizza but the propane adapter was much easier.
My dough still needs work. Or maybe I just don’t know exactly what I’m looking for.
Thanks for looking
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks awesome! 

What’s with the area where there is often a stack? When I look online that model is not shown with the round port. Looks like you can add a stack of wanted? Is this a new model? TIA. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    It does have a chimney but since he was using the gas burner instead of a wood fire it was not necessary.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Looks awesome! 

What’s with the area where there is often a stack? When I look online that model is not shown with the round port. Looks like you can add a stack of wanted? Is this a new model? TIA. 

Like @h@HeavyG said,
    No stack needed when using propane.
    Above photo was last week cooking with wood.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice looking pies and meat D. Looks like you are getting the hang of that oven. 

I agree with you on the sausage. When you cook it that hot, it’s going to burst the casing and all the good stuff is going to end up on the plate. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Pizzas are looking good. So are you enjoying your new toy or still mad about build quality?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Great looking pies !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I want another pizza oven!  I purchased a pizzacraft pronto oven last summer and I’m hooked but the Roccbox and Ooni are looking great.  To get that kind of char on the pizzacraft, I need to finish with a butane torch.

edited February 2020
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Pizzas are looking good. So are you enjoying your new toy or still mad about build quality?
    You have to think about the build quality on these little Ooni ovens like the Blackstone Griddle. You get what you pay for. I think it's a great little travel oven. If you plan on cooking pizza on a regular basis I would look at other options. My complaint with Ooni was their lack of owning the problem.
    First they said the gap was something they have never seen before and then changed their story to it's normal, don't worry about it, it won't stop you from cooking. After 2 cooks the gap is now almost doubled in size. They said they would swap the body in March. Time will tell.
    The propane adapter does not mate up very well either. But it does work.
    For the Kick Started price, even if it goes in the trash, I'm not out that much money.
    I honestly like it better for searing than I do as a pizza oven.lol
    I see a real pizza oven in my future.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Nice looking pies and meat D. Looks like you are getting the hang of that oven. 

I agree with you on the sausage. When you cook it that hot, it’s going to burst the casing and all the good stuff is going to end up on the plate. 
    I had hoped to put enough heat on it to crisp the casing before it heated the sausage enough to render that much fat. Live and learn.
    Can't wait to try some shrimp and oysters.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks like you're having fun with that.  What temps did you run it at?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    edited February 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    Looks like you're having fun with that.  What temps did you run it at?
    The Fluke IR was giving me about 800-830 in the center of the stone. Then I would turn the flame down just before I launched the pizza.
    Running the propane with the chimney capped and the front door off made it cook completely different than running with wood, chimney in place and front on as they recommend. Cooking with wood I was burning the bottom  before the topping had cooked and charred up. Running with propane was the opposite. Harder to get the crust cooked before the toppings and edges burnt. I also used a higher hydration this time and the pies were easier to stretch. Cooking on this just makes me want a larger, more traditional pizza oven.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    You're on a fun ride! It is a juggling act ... more frequent rotating helps with burning edges, dome (lift) the pie if bottom is charring too fast, shield the top with peel if top is browning too fast. No pellet option? I kid, you don't want to go there, I had an early ooni 2s and hated it.
    canuckland
  • SmallBBQr
    Options
    What dough recipe and hydration are you using?  I find 70% works well in my Ooni Pro...

It does a nice chicken too...

• Plutonium
    Options

SmallBBQr said:
    What dough recipe and hydration are you using?  I find 70% works well in my Ooni Pro...

I’m running ~65% hydration in my dough in my ooni 3. Working very well. 

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.