Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lump Charcoal

Was wondering if you guys have had issue with BGE lump charcoal , by that I mean about 60-65% being small pieces (2-4” range)?
I’ve not bought any in about a year and a half due to this happening, but today I bought another bag just to see if it had changed. It had not. Or me it’s back to the Uncle Henry or B&P Lump, the latter being a local to Birmingham, sold at Academy for around $15.
I’ve  attached a photo of my purchase today.

thanks
G

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Often small pieces are the result of rough handling after leaving the factory. Quality lump is brittle. The bag with the most small pieces I ever have gotten was a Rockwood bag. Nothing but small and some medium pieces. The second Rockwood bag I got at the same time was full of large and medium pieces.  Clearly someone had dropped the first bag.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Don't get too hung up on chunk size, as it's not a true indication of quality of the charcoal.  In fact, big chunks *can* be a negative quality, as it usually means the presence of wood fiber.

If you're running a Kick Ash Basket or another replacement fire grate, the chunk size is going to mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.  BTU/# is BTU/#.....doesn't matter how big or small the chunk is.  Law of conservation of energy says the only way charcoal can burn faster is with a subsequent higher temp--so as long as you are metering the O2, there's no way a smaller piece can burn faster.

Here's a long guest blog post I wrote for a website.....lots of info on chunk size:

https://www.pizza-porta.com/blog/2019/8/18/guest-blog-charcoal-rockwood-charcoal
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    As stated above, lump size really isn’t an indication of quality.  

Personally, I’m partial to Rockwood.  You can check out lump reviews for yourself here, if you’d like. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • stlcharcoal
    Best analogy I can make is Lay's potato chips.  Super brittle.  Yeah, everybody wants a bag that's full of intact full chips, but there's no way to get them even bagged, much less hundreds of miles to the store without them breaking.  Some bags are better than others, and you're always going to have that crushed layer at the bottom.  But in the end, the makeup of those chips is the same whether it's a perfect bag or crushed......nothing really changes except appearance and appeal.

It's not the manufacturer's fault (other than maybe not keeping on the distributor, store, and consumer to handle their product like eggs.)  Not trying to make excuses here, but it's something we struggle at.......trying to educate folks who are coming over from briquettes.  Lump is not a manufactured compressed product with binders, it's an all-natural & brittle product.  I ask folks that write or call in the last time they complained to FritoLay, Post, or General Mills about all the crushed cereal and chips they throw away every week--that's usually the "ah-ha" moment when they realize that's the reality of this product as well.
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Guys thanks for the replies.
    JohnnyP thanks for the link.
    Stlcharcoal I understand you explanation but was asking if others had run into the same thing. It’s interesting that the Uncle Henry and B&P have much larger pieces in each bag consistently than BGE. Not sure if it’s the way it’s shipped or what.
  • BGE charcoal is good but pricey.  You were the victim of ill-handling of the bag by someone along the way before you opened it.  BGE does not have a sestemic issue with small size pieces.
  • stlcharcoal
    GregC said:
    Guys thanks for the replies.
    JohnnyP thanks for the link.
    Stlcharcoal I understand you explanation but was asking if others had run into the same thing. It’s interesting that the Uncle Henry and B&P have much larger pieces in each bag consistently than BGE. Not sure if it’s the way it’s shipped or what.
    My point was that you're going to run into that from time to time with any properly carbonized charcoal.  I don't know where BGE falls into that, but it's probably not anything that they are doing at the plant (i.e. they are not breaking down the charcoal before putting it in the bags.)  It's more than likely in transit, which can vary depending where you fall into the supply chain / distribution.

I've never heard of the two other brands you mentioned, but I would try to break them apart by hand or drop the big chunks on the ground to see if they shatter.  If not, they're not charcoal yet--they are charred wood and full of wood fiber (that's what's holding them together.)  If they do break easily, then you are lucky because there are a lot of gentle hands moving it from the plant to the store, and everywhere in between.  But 95% of the time, I would say it's underkilning over good luck.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited October 2019
    agree with @stlcharcoal about how brittle properly carbonised lump are vs. underkilned ones.

what's puzzling to me is how the legendary Japanese bichotan charcoal can sound like metal, don't appear brittle nor 'woody' as in typical underkilned South American lump ... look at the footage at the 3:40 mark ...
    https://youtu.be/DopSp5ofyi0
    canuckland
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    I've experimented with a number of lump charcoals so far.  I've found bge lump to be the most consistent with the size of the pieces of lump, the flavor and how it performs.  Other brands definitely will have larger pieces in their bags, but they also typically have a good amount of tiny garbage pieces.
    NC - LBGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Best analogy I can make is Lay's potato chips.  Super brittle.  Yeah, everybody wants a bag that's full of intact full chips, but there's no way to get them even bagged, much less hundreds of miles to the store without them breaking.  Some bags are better than others, and you're always going to have that crushed layer at the bottom.  But in the end, the makeup of those chips is the same whether it's a perfect bag or crushed......nothing really changes except appearance and appeal.

It's not the manufacturer's fault (other than maybe not keeping on the distributor, store, and consumer to handle their product like eggs.)  Not trying to make excuses here, but it's something we struggle at.......trying to educate folks who are coming over from briquettes.  Lump is not a manufactured compressed product with binders, it's an all-natural & brittle product.  I ask folks that write or call in the last time they complained to FritoLay, Post, or General Mills about all the crushed cereal and chips they throw away every week--that's usually the "ah-ha" moment when they realize that's the reality of this product as well.
    Spot on my friend! It's Lump and it all burns regardless of size and becomes ashes..... 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• stlcharcoal
    agree with @stlcharcoal about how brittle properly carbonised lump are vs. underkilned ones.

what's puzzling to me is how the legendary Japanese bichotan charcoal can sound like metal, don't appear brittle nor 'woody' as in typical underkilned South American lump ... look at the footage at the 3:40 mark ...
    Binchotan is kind of different a process as I understand it.  They start with limbs which have a much tighter grain, and then they kiln process is much longer.  There is a lot less tars & liquors in the limbs so you don't see the grain like you do in the trunks.  I've heard it can take up to a month to make binchotan.  It's still brittle, but since it's not mass produced and it's collected, sorted, packed, etc by hand or hand tools, it stays in better shape.  That's why it's so expensive.   Longer to make, lower volume & yields, and handmade.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179

Binchotan is kind of different a process as I understand it.  They start with limbs which have a much tighter grain, and then they kiln process is much longer.  There is a lot less tars & liquors in the limbs so you don't see the grain like you do in the trunks.  I've heard it can take up to a month to make binchotan.  It's still brittle, but since it's not mass produced and it's collected, sorted, packed, etc by hand or hand tools, it stays in better shape.  That's why it's so expensive.   Longer to make, lower volume & yields, and handmade.
    Ah yes, artisan lump  =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • BGE lump is compatible to the 30# bags of Royal Oak.  Both have larger pieces, but RO is 50% cheaper!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Rockwood. 

That is all.

You are welcome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    It’s not the size of the chunks.  It’s how you use them.
  • Cool video, it is nuts that those guys were sorting with out dust masks on.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Cool video, it is nuts that those guys were sorting with out dust masks on.

Not necessarily a bad thing, built-in carbon filter 😂
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Was that at a RO plant?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited February 2020
    Was that at a RO plant?
    Yes, same plant

https://youtu.be/2WI_2fuSeac
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited February 2020
    "The best lump charcoal in the world" ok then, that settles it.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Hank Hill is crying in a corner somewhere after reading this thread.
  • What type of charcoal do you like best with the BGE? I am just finishing the BGE lump charcoal that I purchased when I got my large BGE. Since Royal Oak makes the BGE lump is there any reason not to get it? Which do you prefer between Royal Oak and Rockwood, is one better for long cooks? 
    Thanks!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I always thought the two bags of BGE charcoal were slightly better than the Royal Oak I tried (both red and green bag), but the difference was negligible and you will have variations anyway so I'm sure it's the same stuff. I think even those who use Royal Oak religiously would admit Rockwood is the better lump, but it's up to you to decide whether that difference is worth spending a little more money for (or possibly double). For me, Rockwood is worth it. It's also super easy to get as long as you have an Ace Hardware within a reasonable distance. My recommendation is to try both and determine for yourself.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited May 2020
    I live a quarter mile from a Home Depot so I pick up Royal Oak a little more often these days out of convenience and price. I prefer Rockwood, I lived closer to an ACE at my last house and would just order it for pickup. The ACE I went to also carried BGE (RO) lump but I never bought any (I’ve bought it elsewhere when I was a newer egg owner). So for me: RW>RO>BGE 
  • cdnewman
    cdnewman Posts: 88
    I generally have 1-2 bags of royal oak and 1 bag of rockwood. I use rockwood for anything low and slow. Royal Oak for everything else. Once I get >350 temp I’m not sure I notice the difference and RO is a consistent burn. For longer cooks, I like the predictability, mild flavor and relatively low ash of rockwood.
  • Thank you for the input! Will pick up a back of Rockwood and get some RO for the quick cooks. Appreciate your feedback
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Ive found BGE lump is very inconsistent and overpriced, used to use Ozark Oak exclusivley but its no longer available. Recently started with B and B and so far its been great 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM