Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Griddle on the Egg ???

Options

This weekend was my birthday.
And I received  a new egg_ccessory.

The cast iron griddle

https://biggreenegg.com/product/cast-iron-plancha-griddle/

Does anyone have any
tips?
Tricks?
Fun foods to cook?
Recipes?
General use advice ?

For it ??

Should I return it and the half? 
Would I be better off with that One?

Either way I am very excited about having a griddle for my Egg!

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    yes
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I just use a CI pan. Works fine. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Don't have that accessory but I do have a 16" pizza steel I use on the egg all the time. Try smashburgers!

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/ultra-smashed-cheeseburger-recipe-food-lab.html
    Mountain View, CA
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Cast Iron anything is a keeper in my books.   Fry anything without worrying about the smoke ... smash burger, scallops, vegetables etc.    

These get hot really fast on the Egg - A few times I pulled  my heated cast iron off the fire and fried with the pan on the table, on a protected surface of course.

Edit:  Happy Birthday
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    Options

Bump
    For any recipes 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I used the lodge rectangular griddle until I got the blackstone 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• smittydog27
    Options
    I use my BGE half griddle....works good.  have made breakfast on it, burgers, bacon, scallops, veggies, etc.  Versatile to say the least.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I have a BGE griddle and several pieces of CI. Ribeyes Sous Vide to temp (115 to 120) and seer @ 600 on the griddle for 2 minutes a side. Good stuff. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    I use a piece of Lodge cast iron that's similar. As others have said, the thing gets screaming hot, so use it with caution; it burns easily. It'll give you great sears on meats, but my favorite use for it is vegetables. Cut some sweet potatoes into one-inch rounds, par-boil them, then finish them on the cast iron griddle to get a sear on the outside (that method applies to pretty much any starchy vegetable). Throw some oiled, slivered carrots on it until they blister, then serve atop some arugula with goat cheese. Griddle asparagus until you get a good char and serve them with salt/pepper and a vinaigrette. It turns veggies into awesome, rustic side dishes.
    Southern California