Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hardwood briquettes

Options
I mistakenly purchased royal oak natural hardwood briquettes will it be ok to use on my large egg?
Boynton Beach, Fl

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    It’ll be fine. It’ll produce more ash so make sure you keep the vent holes in the firebox clear. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    You may find that you like it. The good part about briquettes, they are very consistent. You won't find the bottom 1/3 bag unusable because it's been crushed into small pieces. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    My last bag of royal oak was from Walmart and was the last bag they had before they sold out until spring. Ordinarily I wouldn’t buy a bag that rattled that much but I was in a bind and needed it. The bottom 3rd was definitely unusable. Makes a good fire started for the fire pit though. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I did the same thing!  They worked just fine.  Saving the leftovers for when I am out of lump..,
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    Thanks everyone, feeling a lot better about my mistake. Thinking about mixing in with lump to use it up. Sounds ok?
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    GregW said:
    You may find that you like it. The good part about briquettes, they are very consistent. You won't find the bottom 1/3 bag unusable because it's been crushed into small pieces. 
    My last bag of royal oak was from Walmart and was the last bag they had before they sold out until spring. Ordinarily I wouldn’t buy a bag that rattled that much but I was in a bind and needed it. The bottom 3rd was definitely unusable. Makes a good fire started for the fire pit though. 

Unusable? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The all natural hardwood doesn't have coal, so it tastes less like briquettes and more like lump.  You don't get the same high temps as lump but it is perfectly acceptable 
    Options
    GregW said:

Unusable? 
    For high temp cooks. I usually use the leftover small pieces in the Chimenea.