Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oysters

hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever tried steaming a couple oysters on the outside of a fired up egg? I realize it is not the best tool for the job, but just wondering......

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    hounddog,[p]You need to move the cook to the inside of your Egg, as there is not enough heat anywhere outside of the Egg to do the cook.[p]Below is a link to a supplier of grates (supports) that work very well for cooking shellfish over a charcoal fire.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Shellfish Grates[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    hounddog & everyone else: If you don't know where the oysters came from, make sure that you cook them somehow! Husband Steve has been in a very bad way since he ate some raw Appalachicola oysters last Tuesday....

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    hounddog, I think Spin gave ya a super oyster tray thingy, but the only thing I can think of outside the BGE would be to steam em one at a time in a small SSteel strainer directly on the top vent running very low internal heat temps..I post this somewhat in jest...yet it might work! Like 220F degrees stack temps. If they pop open, ya got a live one??
    Not my ballpark but??
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    J Appledog, what kind of bad bug hit Steve?? Sorry to hear that when your supposed to be having a good time..Got your e.mail..replied.
    Best to Steve,,recover quick..!
    C~W

• hounddog
    One of my fondest memories as a boy was helping set up a pig picking down in Currituck, N.C. Got up at odark30 and started a fire in one of those barrel trailer rigs, put the pig on, and then watched the sun come up. We capped a couple of beers, put a dozen oysters on top the cooker, threw some burlap on top of them and then came back as the sun was coming up, listening to geese calling and ate steamed oysters. Kind of wondered if could accomplish a small imitation of that effect on egg. Bet it would work ok inside if i was careful....
  • Char-Woody
    hounddog, You have a way with words...! What a scene!![p]If you can find burlap..(check the lawn seed cover rolls) you might just be able to do that in the BGE..I bet it would work fine on the inside. Maybe one of those fancy pizza pans with the holes in it for a base for the burlap.[p]Set pan and burlap on a 3 wide and 2 side by side fire brick barrier or a large round tri setter or pizza stone.[p]How hot does the burlap have to get and how close to the fire?
    Best deal is KennyG's ceramic oyster tray..nice gizzy.
    C~W[p]

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Char-Woody,
    How about several layers of wet cheesecloth??? JCA

• Char-Woody
    J Appledog, I'll guess with ya Julie..I bet it would work too. I am gonna guess that water steams at 200 plus so you would need a working temp of around 225 or so..What ya think? I like oysters and whats the best way to tackle em after they pop the shells...dips..etc??
    C~W

• hounddog
    We had butter, lemon and cocktail sauce. Also texas pete. My favorite was a little lemon and texas, but everyone chooses their own poison the way I have seen it done.
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Char-Woody,
    1. Go to the East coast of Vancouver Island, B. C.
    2. Don snorkle gear and snorkle around until you find an
    oyster bed. Collect a dozen or so.
    3. Shuck off the flatter shell half leaving oyster in the
    more cupped half.
    4. Melt butter with a bunch of finely chopped garlic then
    add some sweet rieseling and a few to a bunch of shots of
    tobasco or other hot sauce.
    5. Place oyster on the smoker at a fairly low temp with a bunch of smoke. I like alder for this.
    6. Spoon in butter mixture and smoke until done. I go until
    fairly firm and spoon on more butter mix every 5 minutes or
    so. About 10 to 30 minutes depending on temp.[p]I like this method better than steaming or smoking open
    because it cooks the osyters much more uniformly. When I
    cook 'em unshucked some are over cooked and stuck to the shell and some are too sushi for me. Just my 2 cents.
    DTM

• Char-Woody
    DTM, My apology..I just found your post and it strikes a nerve..I did qualify in a diver's class (scuba) many years ago and what your describe would have been a fun thing. You apparently have a knack for those oyxters, but us landbound folks have to take em off the ice topside in the store. I envy ya...
    Cheers and thanks for this one..
    C~W[p]