Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cedar table

ScotchEgg
ScotchEgg Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
built a new cedar table/egg nest....located in Ontario so lots of snow( well usually!) and rain....should i be sealing the wood on the table?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    scotchegg,
    With cedar, I think the issue is one of protecting the wood from spattered grease, spilled sauce, etc. rather than moisture. So I'd say Yes, sealing it would definitely be wise.[p]my $0.02[p]Ken

• scotchegg,[p]I did cedar as well. I put a couple of coats of Thompson's Water Seal on it, but I also bought a monster grill cover for it that protects the egg and the table. The cedar should age very nicely over time without special treatment.[p]Hank
  • scotchegg,[p]I agree with BlueSmoke. I would want to seal it from grease splatter and grease from laying utensils on it. AZ
  • i work in the paint and coatings industry, take it from me, thompson's is a poor product. if you read the ingredients, it is basically mineral spirits and wax. that is why it only lasts one season (if you are lucky) on a deck. hank said he is keeping his covered as well, so he should not have any problems, if you were going to keep it covered, the thompson's would last alot longer.
    for your cedar table, i would go with a 100% scandinavian tung oil. home depot sells one by behr for under ten bucks a quart, or twenty for a gallon. with tung oil, you will have better UV protection and moisture blocking and it will last for 2 to 3 years at which time you can reapply, and it is clear, thus preserving that beautiful cedar. when you brush it on, don't load it up too heavy, even though you will want to when the cedar starts drinking it up, just remeber "thin to win". good luck!
  • scotchegg, I have, well had, a cedar top table for couple years. I used semi-transparent stain to color and protect it. I did not like having a cedar top. It was too dang hard to keep clean as the wood is so porous. Last month I remodeled the table and now have a corian top, much better. [p]Give it a shot, you might like it. If not, you can also remodel with tile or other stuff. Tom

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Sandbagger,
    I've been looking for something to replace the wood on my wing tables for the same reason. Right now they are black with grease. Kind of embarasing when I'm showing off my cookers. Let me know how you like the corian. -RP

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Sandbagger,[p]How much side clearance did you leave between Egg and Corian- i.e. how heat resistant is Corian?[p]BigT

• rotisseriering.jpg
    <p />BigT, I have an inch plus of clearance around the eggs. That should be plenty of open air to protect the corian.

• img0883tb6.jpg
    <p />scotchegg,[p]Ours is all cedar and I put an expensive (Hopefully meaning better) sealer on it. It's called Sikkens and I almost choked when I paid $20.55 for a quart of this stuff.
  • AZRP, will do, so far no complaints other than I'm wiping the top down more often. I guess that is a good thing. T

• Sandbagger,
    ok, I gotta ask......what's the contraption you got rigged on the egg, rotisserie?