Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cooking Way Too Fast

Options
Put a 17lb and a 13lb on today at 1pm, 6 hours ago.  The egg temp has been steady around 225.  For some reason the 17lb piece is at 170 already after 6 hours, 13lb piece around 140.  Never had this happen before, any advice?

Comments

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Nothing you can do but to let them ride until they probe like buttah.  The cow drives the cook, after all.  When were you hoping to serve them?
  • Steve0
    Steve0 Posts: 73
    Options
    Luckily I was cooking these for friends.  They are going to use the meat for a chili cook off one Saturday.  They are going to pick up the meat tomorrow.

Just never had this happen.  I was planning a good night of sleep and these getting done at around ten through noon tomorrow 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Thermos calibrated??  If so, and 225*F cook temp things will have to slow down.  No way to get to the probe like buttah feel unless the beef is in the 200-208*F range (always declare victory with the feel but the prior mentioned temp range is when it normally happens) and with that low cook temp it won't happen quickly.  Besides sacrificing brisket for chili has upset the brisket gods-you are now witnessing the wrath.  B)   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Steve0
    Options
    I’m running two thermos now being paranoid.  I just guess it’s one of those strange cooks. Looks like it started to stall around 180. This is just a strange piece of meat.  Brisket gods must be upset!!

I do have another one planned this weekend!  Hopefully that one will run smooth
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Curious were they stacked, side by side ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A wise man once told me, the friggin' cow drives the cook. He used a less family friendly f word
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Steve) - not to be too anal about the thermos but running with two (if they are close) helps but doesn't beat knowing the instrument is accurate.  Boiling water test for some piece of mind next time.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I had that at Christmas.  Planned on removing from heat Christmas morning.....I did...2am..... had to FTC until 8am.... temp of brisket kept falling.... had to oven it until serving.  Rave reviews but it was not what I planned.  Good luck. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Steve0
    Options
    Thermos are calibrated.  They are stacked, small on top of the large.  I’ve always done it that way with no problem.  In a stall right now, just started at a higher temp then normal 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    kl8ton said:

In the words of @lousubcap
    Nicely done. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I think the small being on top has more flow over its top and is somewhat insulating the one below....just my thoughts ....plow through it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Steve0
    Options
    I’ll update as the night rolls on.  At 17lbs I thought this would be close to a 24 hr cool.  I’ve been stalled at 185ish since I posted this. Might not get the sleep I was planning on tonight☹️
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Steve0 said:
    I’ll update as the night rolls on.  At 17lbs I thought this would be close to a 24 hr cool.  I’ve been stalled at 185ish since I posted this. Might not get the sleep I was planning on tonight☹️
    I’m a big fan of the oven when it’s close and I want some sleep, I’ll set the oven @ 200 to slow the stall ....and you really won’t over cook it if you oversleep a bit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Steve0
    Options
    Good point there!!  I got the egg balanced at 200.  May fluctuate a little bit think I’ll be good
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I don't mind staying up and keeping an eye on it with you! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Steve0
    Options
    Brisket is at 197 now.  Egg is at 207.  Probably just a strange stall on this piece 
  • Steve0
    Options
    Thanks for the support on this.  The 17lb pulled around 8 am just around an hour per pound.  The 13lb just after 9.  Strange cool!  

Just got the dry rub in the one that gong in tomorrow