Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole chickens

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two whole chickens about four lbs. each. We have guests comming tomorrow evening. Not sure how best to prepare. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tim C, I certainly think Spatchcocking is a great idea.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

[ul][li]The NakedWhiz's SpatchCock Chicken[/ul]
  • fonchik
    fonchik Posts: 92
    Options
    Tim C,
    Follow Wise One's advice on the chicken. I did a spatchcock and it was the best whole chicken I had ever made. [p]--Linnea

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I would go with beer butt chicken. Not only does it taste great but the presentation is tops.
    Very simple to prepare, just coat with EVOO and your favorite chicken rub, insert can and cook at 350 direct for about 1 ½ hrs. The juices dripping on the lump just add to the flavor. Good luck. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Tim C,
    Spatchcock.....as others have said..its fool proof..[p]Wess

• pipedream
    Options
    yeah, the spatchcock method always works out great. lately though, i have been taking the easy way out and just rubbing the whole bird down with a little melted butter, then slapping on some seasoned salt and pepper, and smoking them indirect with a little mesquite. my family loves it.
    they especially like the north alabama inspired white bbq sauce that i make to go with it. i had never heard of this sauce till i went to a few of the smoke houses up there, and they all use it. simple recipe: it is one cup miracle whip, 1/2 cup white vinegar, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of pepper. it makes a thin but tangy sauce that is great on chicken (but not too good on beef or pork). - pipedream
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Tim C,
    you cant beat beer can chicken, for flavour, juiciness, and novelty value for someone who hasn't come across it before.Maybe try one of these and one spatchcock, for choice, but I slightly favour the beer ca method.
    (My wife reckons its because the first step in the method is "drink half a can of beer"!!!)
    There are plenty of recipes in the archives.
    Roger

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Tim C,[p]Spatchcock those beauties.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX