Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - ultralight backpacking - OT

Greetings friends,

I used to backpack a lot.
A LOT has changed since then..

now, the ultralight technology is so robust. 

So. Im upgrading my gear. And, I’m wondering if anyone else is into backpacking and the trail? My gear is getting into shape. I’ll probably keep an old pack. But everything else is slowly coming around. Tents? Bags? Shoes? 

I’d love to hear of your experience. And - if anyone is up for two nights in the woods around N.C., please keep me in mind...

Happy trails!
8-Damien 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Radiant barrier mylar blankets are super light, cheap and effective if you are camping in cold weather or if you just can't cuddle with your mom.

Seriously though, hammocks are the lightweight gear everyone is using if you want light.  They can cost quite a bit if you're cutting down on those last few ounces.  
    Radiant barrier mylar blankets are super light, cheap and effective if you are camping in cold weather or if you just can't cuddle with your mom.

Those are actually lifesavers and required equipment to carry whenever you go on  any backpacking trip. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Seriously though, hammocks are the lightweight gear everyone is using if you want light.  They can cost quite a bit if you're cutting down on those last few ounces.  
    Im sticking With tent for now. “Bear Burrito” camping seems like more of a hassle and uncomfortable to me..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    I got stuck on Horn Island in a storm where my boat sank.  My BIL was a hiker and he had a lightweight  tent rated for high winds that saved our asses.  We were stuck there for a couple days past when we planned on leaving.  Long story but we eventually got the boat working and beat the coastguard helicopter looking for us back to the marina where we were met by reporters.
    We evolved through hundreds of thousands of years being nomadic hunter gatherers.  That said, knowledge that's usually learned and passed down will trump equipment any day.  

There is plenty of used equipment for sale that takes a steep depreciation from people that have the money but not the will to use it.
    Sorry for the hijack, love ya, man!

There is plenty of used equipment for sale that takes a steep depreciation from people that have the money but not the will to use it.
    Just can’t resist bringing Trump into this, can you? 😉

Seriously though, that’s a crazy story Nola. If you can link any media coverage about the ordeal, I’d be curious to read/view. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    calling @YukonRon.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I’d love to hear of your experience. And - if anyone is up for two nights in the woods around N.C., please keep me in mind...

Happy trails!
    8-Damien 

This is a weird way to get a date...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    was amazed how comfortable and dry those hammock tents are, might want to reconsider that. 3 person tent when im mostly stationary for a couple days but im in my african 16 by 20 foot something wall tent on a fold out bed if im roughing it on a lakeside remote site with the boat, woodstove with water heater attached =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I would get someone to carry it for me myself. Seems ideal and who really wants to carry handles while you walk on unstable ground.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The first thing I have found about back packing is weight control. The only thing that weighs nothing is nothing.

Much has been said about the hammock for tenting up for a night. They are great as long as you have trees.

Many places we go, are often above the tree line, so they do not work out so well. 

Couple things to determine, will this be just for you or will you be bringing others with you? By yourself, go for the single 1 person tent, with others, family, go dome.

I would recommend Marmot for tents. Very customer friendly and liberal warranty coverage. I can share this with you, we got caught in a freak storm at elevation, winds were 40 mph at gust, and rain mixed with sleet pounded us. It withstood that and we emerged the next day dry. The dome suffered no issues. We have been big Marmot fans since. It is a lime lite 4 (3 people and some gear) 6.8 pounds.

Sleeping bag.....feathered friends duo for My Beautiful Wife and I (1.8 pounds) the most comfortable sleeping bag ever. We use inflatables for insulation from the ground and add a lot of comfort. Single bags are all pretty good, just find the temp range and weight you want and you will be fine.

Back packs; basically internal or external frames. For me, on a 3 day I do an Osprey 29L, internal. More than 3 days, external frame Kelty K2, 65L. There are so many more advantages to external frames on long trips.

Boots. I have tried them all. My favorite has got to be, without a doubt, the best I have ever worn while hiking backpacking and climbing, Oboz. Awesome product, durable and worry free. I have used them around the world, hiking in places very few had been before, on all types of terrain, mud, snow, you name it, been there summited that.

Equipment.....for light get solar power lamps. I carry a 2 oz lamp 3 different brightness settings.

Jet boil for cooking, platypus water purification.

Send me a PM if you want more information. I would be glad to help in any manner I can.

One more thing....cotton kills. I will explain if needed, but try to go layers in light weight w/o cotton.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I'm getting into backpacking myself, but through a tangent. I am REALLY getting into overland adventuring, via my TJ wrangler, and getting to think up and execute all of the DIY modifications and fab work to meet my wants in my rig. 

The wife is pregnant with our first, so I am going to be building the Jeep over the course of the next couple years while the little one is growing enough to bring along. I like mostly stock looks in Jeeps, keeping it to lift, swing-out tire carrier with a rack for gear/spare fuel and maybe a custom roof rack if there just isn't enough space ontop of tire carrier. 

You could say I am getting into ultralight overlanding. Space and weight comes at a premium when working with a TJ wrangler. 
    AKA @MattBTI

Cunningham, KS
  • YukonRon
    bgedealer said:
    I'm getting into backpacking myself, but through a tangent. I am REALLY getting into overland adventuring, via my TJ wrangler, and getting to think up and execute all of the DIY modifications and fab work to meet my wants in my rig. 

The wife is pregnant with our first, so I am going to be building the Jeep over the course of the next couple years while the little one is growing enough to bring along. I like mostly stock looks in Jeeps, keeping it to lift, swing-out tire carrier with a rack for gear/spare fuel and maybe a custom roof rack if there just isn't enough space ontop of tire carrier. 

You could say I am getting into ultralight overlanding. Space and weight comes at a premium when working with a TJ wrangler. 
    One thing I bought at a surplus auction, from Rocky Mountain SSR, (they have changed the organization name since) and have found it extremely beneficial, is a body recovery basket I mounted on the roof rack of my Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition.

It is wide enough not to interfere with my Yakima storage pod on one side while it sits on the other.

it is about 28" wide, 84 inches long, wire basket type rack. Kind of morbid to some, but everybody that is into off road, overland adventuring, either bought one or is going to get one after seeing my set up.

I got it for next to nothing, like $20.00 or something like that. It has been the most handy piece of equipment I have bought for the truck. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • @YukonRon have you found other uses for it, besides the obvious use of recovering an injured person?
    AKA @MattBTI

Cunningham, KS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    bgedealer said:
    @YukonRon have you found other uses for it, besides the obvious use of recovering an injured person?
    He coverted it to a wine storage rack. Only 92s and above... 
  • nolaegghead
    from the interweb pipes:

Cotton clothing is especially problematic during the rest phases of hiking trips in cold conditions as it is often soaked with sweat and therefore it leads to rapid body heat loss. Long drying time: As cotton absorbs so much moisture it also dries very slowly.

Pentwater, MI
  • YukonRon
    bgedealer said:
    @YukonRon have you found other uses for it, besides the obvious use of recovering an injured person?
    I use it to carry other things, fuel cells/tanks, snow boards, skis, water and occasionally some firewood when scavenging. I have carried many different items that would too large for the interior of the Expedition. 

Pretty handy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky