Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal went out

So I wake up at 5am Sunday morning and head outside in the negative degree temp to get the grill ready to make my first brisket. Get it started and go back to bed, wake up at 7 and see it's at 250 and ready to go. So I put my brisket on my L BGE and head inside. Checking the temps throughout the morning and it's staying right around 250, brisket is cooking nicely and everything is fine. I had to leave my house for a bit but the grill was at 250 when I did, when I got back it was down to 200 and dropping, no matter what I did I could not get it to go up. Finally took the brisket off and finished it in the grill. Took everything off the grill about 3 hours later (6pm) to check the charcoal and there was all sorts of ash on top, stirred the charcoal around and the flames started going again and it easily got back up to 300. My question is why did this happen in the first place? Lack of airflow? Too much charcoal (it was completely full of old and new charcoal)? I had a ceramic grill store Woo and plate setter on. Any help would be much appreciated so I can avoid this problem for my next long and slow cook.

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    It's not too much charcoal, my guess is that the airflow got restricted and started to choke out.
    Las Vegas, NV

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    we used to make wiggle rods to reach thru the lower vent to wiggle the bottom grate to remove the ash buildup. can be as simple as a heavy coat hanger fashioned to grab a hole in the firegrate.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Could be the dreaded vertical burn? We've seen it here before where there is enough lump, but with a very small coal ember needed for 250 and a need for that lit coal to touch an unlit coal, it can happen.  Some folks run a little hotter but 250 should be OK.  I've had it happen at night when a fire is almost snuffed, and I poke the coals with a piece of rebar from the top with and move them a bit to get it going again. (as @Battleborn says).  Doesn't take much poking.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Not enough airflow, which using some “used” lump could have contributed to.  Having all new chunks of lump provides better airflow thru the fire grate, especially at the 250 range.
    I had that happen until I bought a controller.  No issues with used lump when using a fan.
  • I recently bought a stainless steel grate to help improve airflow, I will be cleaning out all of the ash/charcoal and installing that before the next cook which I think will help too.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Anytime you want to cook at 275 or below for many hours,  it's a great idea to clean out the egg. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI