Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated for real.

Options
Pizza cook. Knew my bands were loose. Got looser after the first pie. Really worried during the second pie and had read posts about what could happen. Nursed the lid during the cook. LIfted the lid halfway and the pie was ready. 

Open lid all the way. All was good. 

While I was sliding the peel under the pizza, the lid fell out the back of the bands.

Bad news/Good news. My wife wanted to try a new dough recipe. It sucked. So my lid crashed for some sh!t pizza.

Good news: My wife said whatever we need to buy to restore the egg. New lid or new egg, do it.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Awwwww dude. So sorry.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I bought a dome last year, it seems like it was less than 3 bills for a large. Sorry for your loss. Glad no one was injured or no property was lost. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sorry about the dome. You might also want to consider an air gap on that pizza stone. 

Any sugar glider pics? 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That sucks.

The only safe remedy is new egg/fix the egg AND a roccbox.  
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Sorry about the dome. You might also want to consider an air gap on that pizza stone. 

Any sugar glider pics? 
    There are bricks under the pizza stone.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Da-n that sucks especially with the anticipatory concerns.
    Not the same reason but the same outcome-new dome in L'ville $219 and since you are here you may want to get the new LBGE band assembly-another $150.  Prices as of Sep 2019.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Sorry man, that sucks.  However, enjoy that new Roccbox.   :)
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Ouch! If you're the original owner, request your dealer to file a compassion warranty and get a discount on replacement parts?
    canuckland
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Ouch! If you're the original owner, request your dealer to file a compassion warranty and get a discount on replacement parts?
    I agree.  Or have them work a deal to allow you some “trade-in” value of yours toward a new egg.

One of our local dealers (not BGE) does that, and I know a lot of people that trade grills with him every 3 years. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry to see this!  

if you want to borrow my roccbox for a few cooks to see if you like it we can make that happen 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There are some very cool new pizza ovens out there too so Roccbox is one of a few cool options. You can totally have mine for a month though if you want to see what a dedicated pizza oven is all about (btw- its a cool thing to have. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That stinks my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thinking of you in your time of loss.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Sad face.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    the new bands have dome clips that help lock the dome in the band for hot cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    RIP
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

Thank you all for the kind words in this difficult time.

Lisa and I are comforted by the warmth and thoughtfulness of this forum as we look to return to some sense of normalcy.

We will forever hold in our hearts the memories of the old dome and cherish the many wonderful cooks that happened under it’s embrace. (except for the last sh!tty pizza cook).

A new dome has been ordered and while it will never take the place of the dearly departed dome, we will Egg again.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Options
    I’m devastated this thread has zero chance to get to 100+ pages.  This place used to be a lot less friendly.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Thank you all for the kind words in this difficult time.

Lisa and I are comforted by the warmth and thoughtfulness of this forum as we look to return to some sense of normalcy.

We will forever hold in our hearts the memories of the old dome and cherish the many wonderful cooks that happened under it’s embrace. (except for the last sh!tty pizza cook).

A new dome has been ordered and while it will never take the place of the dearly departed dome, we will Egg again.

Ha Ha
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    I keep a wrench on my outside table for this exact reason.....check my bolts before I drink too much....sorry for your loss.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Dang!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Ugh. That sucks. Sorry. Reminds me to check my bands, though....
    LBGE/Maryland
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    So sorry, glad nobody is physically injured. I would be bummed without 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Ouch... my condolences....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Legume
    Options

When I lost a fire ring, this helped me.  Your dome will be waiting patiently for you.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    There are some very cool new pizza ovens out there too so Roccbox is one of a few cool options. You can totally have mine for a month though if you want to see what a dedicated pizza oven is all about (btw- its a cool thing to have. 
    How good is the Roccbox, I’ve been having an eye on it for a while.  I have a pizzacraft propane oven but I want to step up my game and the Roccbox looks decent.

edited January 2020
    Options
    Any sugar glider pics? 
    😂😂😂
    Those were glorious days