Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken wings at three different temperatures

Options
Dinner last night with some friends and someone mentioned a tv show and some well known chef. Host of show was saying she isn’t really a chicken wing fan but said chef cooked some that were mind blowing. My friend couldn’t remember specifics but they were cooked at a low temperature for x amount of time, then cranked up a little higher for another amount of time. Then a third cook at an even higher temperature. Anyone know about this technique? If so, any specifics would be greatly appreciated. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'm assuming they were grilled wings vs fried?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2020
    Options
    if you're talking about fried wings, then Korean-style wings/chicken is fried twice, to make it extra crispy. 

Makes sense for grilled wings too though. Lower temp helps the fate render, then the higher temp gets them crispy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I think she did them in the oven, but I’m not sure. I know the show was Mel Robbins

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I finally found it, so I’ll share.... rub was pretty basic, so nothing really special there. Bake on raised sheet pan for 1 hour at 200. Then, at 250 for another hour. Then 30-45 minutes at 300 Broil high to crisp up skin. Show was Mel Robbins and chef was Jonathan Schwarz.

Ronald Reagan

• FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I've had great results at doing them on the egg at 275 for 1.5-2 hours.  Next time I'm gonna try taking em off a bit early them putting them back on at 350 for a couple minutes a side
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Man I’m too lazy for all of that work. I just go direct until cooked. Sauce then throw them back on for a few to set the sauce. 350°ish
    Midland, TX XLBGE