Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indian Fry Bread Tacos

Options
smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited January 2020 in Off Topic

In an ongoing effort to make room in my freezer, I took out three cuts of beef to cook.  The
items at hand were a 2.5 lb dry aged bavette, Wagyu skirt steak and full-blood Wagyu rib cap
lifter.

photo IMG_01_zpsvrsu9st0jpg

Good marbling never gets old.

photo IMG_02_zpsktyrbet5jpg
photo IMG_03_zpspsopzfo8jpg

The bavette was split in half for carne asada and mojo criollo marinades.

photo IMG_05_zpsij8f96rejpg

The skirt steak received a coconut red curry marinade consisting of red curry paste, coconut
flake purée and brown sugar.  The rib cap lifter 'umami bomb' marinade included black garlic,
soy sauce, fish sauce, worcestershire sauce, granulated beef broth, onion powder, porcini
mushroom powder and black pepper.

photo IMG_04_zpshtqh0dskjpg

The skirt steak, bavette, and rib cap lifter were cooked sous vide for 8, 30 and 48 hours respectively. Unfortunately the carne asada seasoned skirt steak was sacrificed to the floor gods, but there was plenty of beef at hand to cover this loss.

photo IMG_06_zpsd1xlnabljpg
photo IMG_13_zpszgnrgupxjpg

I got the Egg good and hot and put a little color on the beef.

photo IMG_08_zpse1ikknyvjpg
photo IMG_14_zpsudkuudwfjpg
photo IMG_15_zpsi349zzbrjpg
photo IMG_16_zps8xb9suhkjpg
photo IMG_17_zpsertxjkmnjpg
photo IMG_19_zpszzbomttwjpg

The Indian fry bread was cooked and the tacos were served with romaine lettuce, red onion,
tomatoes, monterey jack cheese and grilled lime sour cream.

photo IMG_07_zpsixtp85w7jpg
photo IMG_11_zpsd2rxectejpg
photo IMG_10_zpscmfaq5svjpg
photo IMG_12_zpspankkb3ejpg

photo IMG_20_zps3ncjvrcjjpg
photo IMG_21_zpsc63mhirujpg
photo IMG_22_zpsne2lt1h0jpg
photo IMG_23_zps7aliqx3bjpg

One can never go wrong with fried dough and grilled meat.  The meat was tender, smoky and
very well seasoned, with the rib cap lifter being my favorite.  It's been a while since I've had
Indian fry bread so this was a nice change of pace.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Dude that looks soooo good! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    awesome looking cook.  You nailed it!!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    That looks mighty good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    As per usual, stunning!
  • builderdawg
    Options
    smokingal said:

In an ongoing effort to make room in my freezer, I took out three cuts of beef to cook.  The
    items at hand were a 2.5 lb dry aged bavette, Wagyu skirt steak and full-blood Wagyu rib cap
    lifter.

photo IMG_01_zpsvrsu9st0jpg

Good marbling never gets old.

photo IMG_02_zpsktyrbet5jpg
    photo IMG_03_zpspsopzfo8jpg

The bavette was split in half for carne asada and mojo criollo marinades.

photo IMG_05_zpsij8f96rejpg

The skirt steak received a coconut red curry marinade consisting of red curry paste, coconut
    flake purée and brown sugar.  The rib cap lifter 'umami bomb' marinade included black garlic,
    soy sauce, fish sauce, worcestershire sauce, granulated beef broth, onion powder, porcini
    mushroom powder and black pepper.

photo IMG_04_zpshtqh0dskjpg

The skirt steak, bavette, and rib cap lifter were cooked sous vide for 8, 30 and 48 hours respectively. Unfortunately the carne asada seasoned skirt steak was sacrificed to the floor gods, but there was plenty of beef at hand to cover this loss.

photo IMG_06_zpsd1xlnabljpg
    photo IMG_13_zpszgnrgupxjpg

I got the Egg good and hot and put a little color on the beef.

photo IMG_08_zpse1ikknyvjpg
    photo IMG_14_zpsudkuudwfjpg
    photo IMG_15_zpsi349zzbrjpg
    photo IMG_16_zps8xb9suhkjpg
    photo IMG_17_zpsertxjkmnjpg
    photo IMG_19_zpszzbomttwjpg

The Indian fry bread was cooked and the tacos were served with romaine lettuce, red onion,
    tomatoes, monterey jack cheese and grilled lime sour cream.

photo IMG_07_zpsixtp85w7jpg
    photo IMG_11_zpsd2rxectejpg
    photo IMG_10_zpscmfaq5svjpg
    photo IMG_12_zpspankkb3ejpg

photo IMG_20_zps3ncjvrcjjpg
    photo IMG_21_zpsc63mhirujpg
    photo IMG_22_zpsne2lt1h0jpg
    photo IMG_23_zps7aliqx3bjpg

One can never go wrong with fried dough and grilled meat.  The meat was tender, smoky and
    very well seasoned, with the rib cap lifter being my favorite.  It's been a while since I've had
    Indian fry bread so this was a nice change of pace.

That looks phenomenal. Well done. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Love the new profile pic, btw. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    So many questions come to mind when I see this thread. I know you are a forum favourite here, so I figure others may similarly wish to know.....

Why do you have so much high quality beef stored in your freezer? What is it that you are trying to make room for?

Many of your cooks look quite laborious, involving, at a minimum, the making of marinades, treatment of proteins and baking of breads. Never mind the documentation. Where do you find the time and energy?

I notice you run the https://barbecueaddict.com website and include watermarks on your photos (too bad, as I was hoping to claim them as my own! 😉). What got you into cooking and what now motivates you to share your cooks via this forum and on that site? Have you ever considered cooking in a professional capacity?

Keep up the phenomenal cooks. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Awesome Cook and Cool new Avitar  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Options
    Inspirational and creative. Love it. I am from New Mexico and grew up eating fry bread tacos—special place in my heart for them. Usually just do them with hatch green chile and ground beef and beans, but now I’ve got something to strive for. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    I love your posts. 
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Amazing, just Amazing!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Excellent cook.  Stunning 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    We attend several powwows each year and always enjoy IFB Tacos as part of the festivities.  They are not these!  Amazing but unsurprising coming from this cook!  Wow!
    Care to share details of your bread recipe/technique?
    Thanks for posting your cooks, always a treat.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Awesome cook.... I’m on a ask the question everyone wants to know... Is everyone in your home big as a house eating all that good food?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Awesome as always!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Why do you have so much high quality beef stored in your freezer? What is it that you are trying to make room for?

Many of your cooks look quite laborious, involving, at a minimum, the making of marinades, treatment of proteins and baking of breads. Never mind the documentation. Where do you find the time and energy?

I notice you run the https://barbecueaddict.com website and include watermarks on your photos (too bad, as I was hoping to claim them as my own! 😉). What got you into cooking and what now motivates you to share your cooks via this forum and on that site? Have you ever considered cooking in a professional capacity?

Purchasing meat online often comes with minimum purchase requirements, so I buy things on sale in bulk.  If I'm not utilizing that stuff quick enough, the freezer gets rather full and it's difficult to find things or simply to rifle through it.

The cooks take time, but most of that time is spent waiting.  Aside from kneading dough by hand, it's not that laborious.  It does require a good amount of patience, however.  Being single and child-free allows me a lot of freedom in that regard.

Cooking wasn't my mother's forte and while my dad could cook, he preferred someone else do it.  If I wanted to eat well, I had to cook for myself.  My father and brother used my desire to eat better food to ensure they benefited from it too.  My mom was not a fan of accoutrements, as such, when my grandmother came to visit, it was the first time my sibling and I had real home cooking - roasted meat and mashed potatoes served with gravy, homemade cake with icing, fresh yeast rolls, etc.  I was hooked, as well as baffled as to why my mom wasn't more into cooking.  Once I learned the gravy making process, I was off to the races.  I got volunteered to cook Thanksgiving dinner from then on.
    The blog doesn't get much traffic.  It's kind of an online journal to keep track of my cooks.  I don't think I'd be happy cooking professionally.

dbCooper said:

I followed the recipe and instructions for the bread here.

Awesome cook.... I’m on a ask the question everyone wants to know... Is everyone in your home big as a house eating all that good food?

Eating in moderation, staying active and regular use of the home gym helps maintain a normal size, lol.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    smokingal said:

Purchasing meat online often comes with minimum purchase requirements, so I buy things on sale in bulk.  If I'm not utilizing that stuff quick enough, the freezer gets rather full and it's difficult to find things or simply to rifle through it.

The cooks take time, but most of that time is spent waiting.  Aside from kneading dough by hand, it's not that laborious.  It does require a good amount of patience, however.  Being single and child-free allows me a lot of freedom in that regard.

Cooking wasn't my mother's forte and while my dad could cook, he preferred someone else do it.  If I wanted to eat well, I had to cook for myself.  My father and brother used my desire to eat better food to ensure they benefited from it too.  My mom was not a fan of accoutrements, as such, when my grandmother came to visit, it was the first time my sibling and I had real home cooking - roasted meat and mashed potatoes served with gravy, homemade cake with icing, fresh yeast rolls, etc.  I was hooked, as well as baffled as to why my mom wasn't more into cooking.  Once I learned the gravy making process, I was off to the races.  I got volunteered to cook Thanksgiving dinner from then on.
    The blog doesn't get much traffic.  It's kind of an online journal to keep track of my cooks.  I don't think I'd be happy cooking professionally.

dbCooper said:

I followed the recipe and instructions for the bread here.

Eating in moderation, staying active and regular use of the home gym helps maintain a normal size, lol.

What was that about being single and child-free? 😉
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Game over, Man, game over!! Smokin' Gal wins the forum!!

Always love your posts.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    “One can never go wrong with fried dough and grilled meat” @smokingal I may need to update the quote on my signature line. 
    Sorry @YukonRon this is as wise as your bourbon slushies quote. Maybe I’ll just quote you both. 

The meal looks delicious as it always does. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Your cooks are an inspiration as always.  I love the new forum pic too.   Well done!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    “One can never go wrong with fried dough and grilled meat” @smokingal I may need to update the quote on my signature line. 
    Sorry @YukonRon this is as wise as your bourbon slushies quote. Maybe I’ll just quote you both. 

The meal looks delicious as it always does. 
    Mine does not contribute much to the spirit of these lovely artistic expressions from food made by the cooking elite which are an integral asset to the BGE forum.

I accept the dereliction of my  myself and my methods, which more often than not, turn out less than spectacular results either from marginal presentation and photographic skills, or failure from too many libations during the cook.

The bottom line to my ongoing diatribe is this; While flattered in that somehow anyone found anything I have ever said to be determined as "quote worthy," was indeed an honor, however, I am realistic as well to understand.....there really are better things to read.

Do as you will, it is about the forum, and that is the most important consideration to be made.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky