Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas present used today

Made a pasta dish with blackened chicken, with romano as well as asiago in a sweet thai chili cream sauce. Made up my own blackening seasoning. 

Made the seasonings in a bowl rolled the chopped chicken in it, put it in a high temp oiled, screaming hot, cast iron skillet for about 2-3 minutes per side. Do not do this in non stick pans, it will ruin them.

Drained the pasta, blended the cheeses in it by tossing it several times in a large pyrex glass bowl, then poured in the cream sauce over. 

Used tongs to serve the pasta in a bowl, then added the chicken to cover.

It was delicious and easy. My favorite kind of meal. The blackening cooked off from a good portion of the chicken, but enough seasoning remained for an outstanding spicy flavor.

Doing a lot of pasta dishes this year. Going to get my game up.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Looks great.  I would inhale that any time.  Nicely done!
    Clearly influenced by your visit with the Pope...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    lousubcap said:
    We cooked almost every meal we had in Italy. Carbonara is next. That is one meal I had there that was absolutely superior to anything I have ever had in the states, by far.
    I had a chance to cook my own meal at a place in Venice, the chef took me back and set me up with one of his cooks. It was fun now I just need to up my game.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Forgot to mention, the bottle for the olive oil was my Christmas present. It is 100% Murano glass with a micro ground neck and spout that is leak resistant. Pretty cool.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    It was a gift for Christmas, not from the Vatican.🤭

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Carbonara in Italy is about the best pasta dish I have ever had.  I think it's their bacon that is the key ingredient and brings it over the top.  
    Good luck in your quest to nail it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    Carbonara in Italy is about the best pasta dish I have ever had.  I think it's their bacon that is the key ingredient and brings it over the top.  
    Good luck in your quest to nail it.  
    Absolutely agree, no doubt. The cheeses that they use there is also significantly better than what we can typically find imported here. Timing the egg and cheese blend is everything....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Nice plate of food right there. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'd definitely hit that hard. Especially the pasta part of it. 

A trip to Italy many years back really inspired us to cook more (and better) at home too, after experiencing the Italians' take on food and eating.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    caliking said:
    I'd definitely hit that hard. Especially the pasta part of it. 

A trip to Italy many years back really inspired us to cook more (and better) at home too, after experiencing the Italians' take on food and eating.
    Exactly.....a lot of pride goes into their cooking. I really enjoyed that aspect of the lifestyle in Italy.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Looks yummy!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • YukonRon
    Italian sausages, in a tomato based, vidalia, roasted red pepper with homemade pesto sauce and a little red wine...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Sammies on the way

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Throwing some toasted sausage rolls with garlic butter and some fresh grated Mozzarella from a big wet block we bought.

Italy has freaking ruined me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    Throwing some toasted sausage rolls with garlic butter and some fresh grated Mozzarella from a big wet block we bought.

Italy has freaking ruined me.
    That is livin right there. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Planning on adding the sausage, the sauce, (which is flat out awesome)....then adding fresh grated asiago and peccorino romano...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    The obligatory image of a Super Tuscan Big Red Blend.

Kinda brings a tear to the eye.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon

Well tonight, anyway....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Plated.....sheeeeeeee whizzzzz

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    @Sea2Ski

Get another date set up.

My gosh. Delicious.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited January 2020
    YukonRon said:
    Plated.....sheeeeeeee whizzzzz
    A work of art...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Damn fine eats there!  Happy new year!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:
    We cooked almost every meal we had in Italy. Carbonara is next. That is one meal I had there that was absolutely superior to anything I have ever had in the states, by far.
    I had a chance to cook my own meal at a place in Venice, the chef took me back and set me up with one of his cooks. It was fun now I just need to up my game.
    That is very cool. How did you start that conversation to get to go back to the kitchen? 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    SciAggie said:
    YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:
    That is very cool. How did you start that conversation to get to go back to the kitchen? 
    I asked about the eggs....when to add, how to add. His pictures of himself covered every wall, so I thought I would get him to talk about them...

Once I asked on the secret of a great carbonara and how I could learn to make it....within seconds I am getting an apron, becoming a kitchen bich for one of the cooks.

I had fun...we drank proseco while cooking.

I have tried it once since the return....I am going to nail this dish...I feel it....lol.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I remember the first time I had carbanara in Capri.  Will never forget that meal.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE