Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti Cooler

I'm looking to purchase a Yeti haul. I was planning on using it keep beverages cold. I was also going to use it to hold my smoked Brisket, pork shoulder etc. after its done being smoked to rest. Would the smoked meat absorb into the cooler walls? I wouldn't want to ruin the cooler. Anyone have any experience? 

Comments

• I’ve used mine for that with no residual affects. I will say though, I did a side by side test with all things being equal. Filled a yeti and a Coleman marine extreme with the exact same amount of ice and same items and left both in the boat for a week in the summer. At the end of the week the yeti was all water and the Coleman still had big chunks of ice cubes still stuck together. I like the sturdiness of the yeti over the Coleman but I don’t know that I would ever buy another one. Yeti does a great job at marketing but my test was proof that a cooler that cost a third the amount would keep ice longer. Now I’ve had to change the hinges twice on my Coleman and never touched the yeti. But still I can replace a lot of hinges for the $200 difference. 
  • I have used a large cooler as a mash tun for years and it still smells like cooler
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I stored some shrimp in a rotomolded Igloo for about a month in the back yard accidentally.   Stinks so bad I still haven't used it again.
    ..in the summer.
    think it'd be ok to put more shrimp in?  What could go wrong - they already smell like shrimp.
  • nolaegghead
    think it'd be ok to put more shrimp in?  What could go wrong - they already smell like shrimp.
    I would be fine storing more putrid shrimp in it.  I'm not going to use them for anything but catfish chumming at this point.
    You try this?

Put 1/2 Cup of White Distilled Vinegar in the yeti. 4. Dip the sponge with baking soda in the Yeti to make a paste with the White Distilled Vinegar and scrub.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I usually wash mine out with dish soap and bleach. Especially after storing large amounts of uncooked poultry, etc.. Also been used to FTC quite a bit. Never noticed a smell.

Sounds like a good reason to buy 2 coolers though  =)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Do it all the time with a roadie. Clorox clean up ftw. No problems
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    I have used a large cooler as a mash tun for years and it still smells like cooler
    Yer showing your NC roots.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    If you are not hard-over on buying a Yeti give the search function here a look.  Many threads on rotomolded coolers with lots of different brands to consider.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I’ve used mine for that with no residual affects. I will say though, I did a side by side test with all things being equal. Filled a yeti and a Coleman marine extreme with the exact same amount of ice and same items and left both in the boat for a week in the summer. At the end of the week the yeti was all water and the Coleman still had big chunks of ice cubes still stuck together. I like the sturdiness of the yeti over the Coleman but I don’t know that I would ever buy another one. Yeti does a great job at marketing but my test was proof that a cooler that cost a third the amount would keep ice longer. Now I’ve had to change the hinges twice on my Coleman and never touched the yeti. But still I can replace a lot of hinges for the $200 difference. 
    Not wishing to be obtuse here,  but if it were I, and I needed to keep ice on a boat for a week, in the summer, I would own a boat with a freezer. But that is just me.

I own RTICs, I own Igloos, I have owned Colemans, and others. I bought each cooler for a specific purpose. Bottom line, they all do great at keeping things cold. If that is your only threshold for performance in a cooler, then most certainly you should look for lower cost alternatives to a Yeti.

However, if you are into adventure sports, where your Ăss is on the line, and you need equipment you can count on consistantly, without fail, with proven durability against all challenges, I have experienced no other cooler that offers better total performance than a Yeti.

$200.00 is nothing when you are 100 miles from anywhwere, trust me. It is worth it, to know you have one less thing to need to be concerned with and that you can trust it performing 100%, 100% of the time, every time you need it. That is my determination for value versus cost.

The others did not meet that requirement for me. Not even close. Not under the extremes I put the Yeti against each time I use it.

I have been there. That is why I own Yetis. 

Others may call it status or brilliant marketing, for owning a Yeti, I call it years of experience.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2020
    If you want to stay in the same price range but want an arguably better product, get a Cabela's Polar Cap.  Comparatively over built, and unlike the Yeti, made in the USA (if that sort of thing matters to you).  

That said, for BBQ I'd rather have an easy open cheap Coleman. You get much less usable space in rotomolds. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    I’ve used mine for that with no residual affects. I will say though, I did a side by side test with all things being equal. Filled a yeti and a Coleman marine extreme with the exact same amount of ice and same items and left both in the boat for a week in the summer. At the end of the week the yeti was all water and the Coleman still had big chunks of ice cubes still stuck together. I like the sturdiness of the yeti over the Coleman but I don’t know that I would ever buy another one. Yeti does a great job at marketing but my test was proof that a cooler that cost a third the amount would keep ice longer. Now I’ve had to change the hinges twice on my Coleman and never touched the yeti. But still I can replace a lot of hinges for the $200 difference. 
    Not wishing to be obtuse here,  but if it were I, and I needed to keep ice on a boat for a week, in the summer, I would own a boat with a freezer. But that is just me.

I own RTICs, I own Igloos, I have owned Colemans, and others. I bought each cooler for a specific purpose. Bottom line, they all do great at keeping things cold. If that is your only threshold for performance in a cooler, then most certainly you should look for lower cost alternatives to a Yeti.

However, if you are into adventure sports, where your Ăss is on the line, and you need equipment you can count on consistantly, without fail, with proven durability against all challenges, I have experienced no other cooler that offers better total performance than a Yeti.

$200.00 is nothing when you are 100 miles from anywhwere, trust me. It is worth it, to know you have one less thing to need to be concerned with and that you can trust it performing 100%, 100% of the time, every time you need it. That is my determination for value versus cost.

The others did not meet that requirement for me. Not even close. Not under the extremes I put the Yeti against each time I use it.

Others may call it status or brilliant marketing, for owning a Yeti, I call it years of experience.
    .....it’s also ok to be one of the cool kids 🕶 and own a Yeti.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon said:

True on the fridge comment. We were on vacation at a beach house and just left the coolers in the boat since we used it every day. 

I agree on toughness. I have a rtic and a yeti and both are similarly tougher than the Coleman. I put the yeti on the front deck and stand on it to sight fish some and I’d never trust the Coleman for that. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    YukonRon said:

What is it that makes a Yeti so much better than an ORCA or a Pelican cooler? Both these brands have passionate followers that seem to rival Yeti fans.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125

Now then the Yeti Tee shirt can go 5 days without washing.
    That’s a beautiful piece of property. 
  • YukonRon said:

What is it that makes a Yeti so much better than an ORCA or a Pelican cooler? Both these brands have passionate followers that seem to rival Yeti fans.  
    Marketing. I got a steal on my rtic and it looks and functions exactly the same for less than half the price. Pelican was making rotomolded cases for equipment for years before anybody made a cooler. They’re good stuff too. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2020

What is it that makes a Yeti so much better than an ORCA or a Pelican cooler? 

Delusions. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    And this

jtcBoynton said: uou
    YukonRon said:

Got the equivalent RTIC to Yeti 65. The seal on the RTIC, split on the 4th trip out. Luckily I also had my Yeti 65 with us on the camping, summiting trip.

Got home, gave the RTIC to a very grateful friend, who still uses it to hold beer. And a 2-3 day trip. Works great.

Bought a 2nd Yeti to replace the RTIC. 

Like I said, my experience may be different from everybody out there. However, I have 2 Yetis that work like they did when I bought them, and there have been zero issues.

Zero issues, is what I paid for. If there were issues, I would be telling you. I am loyal to a point. When that point becomes an issue to the well being of my family when doing what we enjoy, then I will make a change.

Just my observation on many weeks and weekends remote and relying on the equipment we need.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited January 2020
    I like my Yeti 45, but only use it 4-5 times a summer because it’s so heavy.  Actually use my Coleman marine almost every week, as it’s light and only need it to hold ice for a couple of days.

It does work great as a shop cooler to hold beer for my buddies that drop by during the week!!!!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

Got the equivalent RTIC to Yeti 65. The seal on the RTIC, split on the 4th trip out. Luckily I also had my Yeti 65 with us on the camping, summiting trip.

Got home, gave the RTIC to a very grateful friend, who still uses it to hold beer. And a 2-3 day trip. Works great.

Like I said, my experience may be different from everybody out there. However, I have 2 Yetis that work like they did when I bought them, and there have been zero issues.

Zero issues, is what I paid for. If there were issues, I would be telling you. I am loyal to a point. When that point becomes an issue to the well being of my family when doing what we enjoy, then I will make a change.

Just my observation on many weeks and weekends remote and relying on the equipment we need.
    I do not question the quality of the Yeti. Clearly it is better than some brands. My question is specific to ORCA and Pelican. Those brands also seem to get great reviews. I am just wondering in what ways the Yeti is superior to those two brands.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

I do not question the quality of the Yeti. Clearly it is better than some brands. My question is specific to ORCA and Pelican. Those brands also seem to get great reviews. I am just wondering in what ways the Yeti is superior to those two brands.
    I am not the one that can answer that question. I have not owned either of the two, and, basically am unwilling to deviate from what I already have. I did that once and it did not work out to well.

As mentioned previously, I pay big for dependability, and I have not had any reason to try anything else, after once getting burned by another similar brand.

Good luck in finding what works for you.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    edited January 2020
    My Pelican is built like a tank. Great seal, outstanding latches and hinges.

I chalk it up as better than the roadie. Plus a smaller footprint 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Paging @nolaegghead as I know he has Pelican coolers and may have Yeti(s) as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.