Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT OT OT - Army Guy Helping Navy SEALs 2.0 OT OT OT

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
Fellow Eggheads,

I wanted to reach out and ask for your help once again for an outstanding organization for which I am doing a fundraiser again this year - The Navy SEAL Foundation.  Many on this forum did a great job supporting last year, and the Foundation and I greatly appreciate it. With the help of many of you, we raised over $710,000 during this campaign that went to help the families of many fallen SEALs.

This campaign is the Tampa Bay Frogman swim - A January 12th 5K swim across Tampa Bay.  After meeting the families of many fallen SEALs last year, I'd really like to bring in as many funds as possible for them.

I'd like to offer a raffle item/box similar to what I did last year.  Because of the generosity of so many, and as a special remembrance of a great guy we lost this past year, I wanted to put forth a 1L bottle of Wooford Double Oaked along w some local rubs/sauces.  If we get more than ten donations, I'll send out a bag of Rockwood to a second winner, and I 'll do another bag to another winner for each increment of five donations to the campaign after that.  Please just either shoot me a DM, or put your forum name on the donation website.  For everyone that donates, if you send me your address, I'll be happy to mail you a "Proud Supporter" sticker.

I'll run the raffle thru next weekend.  Onn the evening of Jan 19th, I'll pull the names for however many winners we have.  I know the Buffalo's been very active recently, but hopefully he won't give this one the horns....

Here is the website to donate:

Well over 90% of the funds raised by the Navy SEAL Foundation goes directly to their missions, and it is a four star rated charity with a 100/100 score on Charity Navigator.

If you don't care to participate, please consider giving to a Veterans' organization of your choosing. Please keep those deployed, the families of those that didn't make it home, and those that did return, but may be struggling with issues seen and unseen, especially given recent developments, in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you all for taking a look and for anything you can do to help.

Here is my recap from last year:

=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thanks for sharing that, Nola.  Yes, a very solid organization doing great work for a community that needs help, but doesn't readily ask for help.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Timing is everything.  I was wondering when this might land as I recall it from last year but in the 2018 tax time frame.  B)   PM sent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Done. If I happen to win any lump, please pass it on to the next name on the list, as I have plenty taking up space in the garage.

But send me the Woodford, if I win it. I don't have enough of that =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    Thank you @lousubcap
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Thank you @caliking.  You can never have enough of the WRDO!  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Thank you @DoubleEgger.  Put you in the WRDO fan group as well
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Thank you @theyolksonyou.  I very much appreciate it.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    What was the final total for you last year?
  • thetrim
    @theyolksonyou last year, the goal was $1,500, we raised $2,570. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Thank you so much @bucky925 for your donation! 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    @bangor307 I really appreciate your support!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Glad to help out Brother.
  • thetrim
    @BigreenGreg thank you so much for the support. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    I found out the SEAL I am swimming in tribute of today.  Dude is from down in @nolaegghead country.  The name kind of gives it away.  Jacques Fontan

Freakin American Jedi.

Died when his chopper got burned by an RPG as they were coming in to rescue Marcus Luttrell and his boys during Operation Redwing (Lone Survivor).  The pilot of the Chinook was an Army pilot and graduated a year ahead of me at West Point.

Thank you for taking a look and for your support.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • theyolksonyou
    Somebody needs to throw in $87 and get this man to $3k.  I think that’s a little light for this crowd.  Should get to 4 easy.  
  • Bump
    South Buffalo, New York
  • thetrim
    Thank you to all on here who’ve contributed so far. 

I went to a swim clinic for the event earlier today, and the first person I saw was CAPT(R) Tom Feeks.  We met and spent some time together at last year’s swim. His son Patrick was a SEAL who died in a chopper crash in Kandahar in 2012.  It was a somber reminder of why this event is here and the families that come to participate and share their memories of their sons, brothers, husbands.  

The surf was rough AF today.  It’s supposed to be much better tomorrow. I’m in the water at 0840.  

Fair winds and following seas. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    thetrim said:
    Thank you to all on here who’ve contributed so far. 

I went to a swim clinic for the event earlier today, and the first person I saw was CAPT(R) Tom Feeks.  We met and spent some time together at last year’s swim. His son Patrick was a SEAL who died in a chopper crash in Kandahar in 2012.  It was a somber reminder of why this event is here and the families that come to participate and share their memories of their sons, brothers, husbands.  

The surf was rough AF today.  It’s supposed to be much better tomorrow. I’m in the water at 0840.  

Fair winds and following seas. 
    My wife has been swimming and joining a swim team. She swam the Lake Murray Dam Swim this past September, and training for the Cooper River Swim later this year. Would love to come down next year for the Bay one next year. Cheers 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    Let’s do it @northGAcock
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Way to finish for a great cause.  Congrats on supporting, fund raising and then bringing it home.  Until next year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    Thanks Trim!

Taking the time to write a hand written note is a nice touch. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    thetrim said:

I assume you're the one in the Army tshirt. You look much prettier than when I last saw you at BB19. Or was that "the slushie effect"?

Awesome effort and spirit. I'm sure the families and many others appreciate what you do.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    @Cornholio thank you so much for your contribution!  I really appreciate it.  Please PM me, if you'd like one of the stickers.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    caliking said:
    thetrim said:

I assume you're the one in the Army tshirt. You look much prettier than when I last saw you at BB19. Or was that "the slushie effect"?

Awesome effort and spirit. I'm sure the families and many others appreciate what you do.

Haha not quite.  These are some of the suckers I recruited to join me in the fun this year.  Last year, we were a two man show - just my kayaker and myself. This year, we had four other "teams" join us.  The whole event has right around 175 swimmers.  My kayaker and I are in in the pic holding the flag that he had on his kayak as we crossed the bay.

Keep in mind, I DON'T only date models.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    I got a very nice contribution from @WassisMeats to add to the raffle winner’s haul - four of their original Rub and Seasonings and some high heat gloves.   They host the Sunshine State Eggfest and are all around great people.  Remember I’m keeping the Egghead only raffle open until Sunday.   Just use your forum name on the fundraiser website or send me a DM.  One entry for anyone contributes.  If you want me to mail you a Navy SEAL Foundation sticker, just send me a DM w your address.  

Cheers. 

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim

Great background on the event as narrated by my friend CAPT (R) John Doolittle.  Many thanks to all who've donated.

Thank you to @BUFFALOMOOSE for your recent generous donation!

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    The Roadie added some bling today. Thanks again @thetrim