Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preheat Large Egg Time

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of joining the Big Green Egg movement. I'm looking to purchase a large one.[p]Just wondering how long it takes to fire up the large egg to grilling temperature? [p]Thanks[p]BrerRabbit

Comments

• Gene613
    Gene613 Posts: 53
    Options
    BrerRabbit,
    It takes about 10 mintues well worth the wait.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BrerRabbit, depends on what you mean by "grilling" temp. It takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to get up to 350 or so and if I want 500 it takes around 30 minutes. One thing to keep in mind: If you want to achieve a temperature on a BGE, be sure not to let it go past. The BGE heats up pretty quick but cools down rather slowly.

• Sailor61
    Options
    BrerRabbit,
    Just "joined" this past Saturday - and I will tell you from 1st hand newbie experience; about 10 minutes when using a Weber charcoal lighting chimney

• BrerRabbit,
    I'm a newbee to the egging world so take this for what it's worth. I was amazed at how fast the egg reached a target temp of 600 degrees, heck I was shocked that it would reach these type of temperatures. I don't know if it's the lump I use or what, but my cooks (grilling) turn out better if I get the egg to my target temp, then stabalize it at that temp for about 20 minutes to get a "clean burn", especially if I'm cooking chicken or hamburger. This is probably overkill on my part.

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    BrerRabbit, I like to let it settle in for about an hour. Gives the ceramic time to heat up, and also lets the wood chunks burn off the bitter white billowy smoke. I can't seem to speed that part up.
    Mike

• BrerRabbit,[p]I’ve only cooked on mine for a few months but think 10 minutes is a bit of a stretch to really be ready to cook on. 20 to 30 minutes works better for me. And as others have said… well worth the wait.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    BrerRabbit,
    depending on my target temp for cooking and/or how good the beer tastes, 1 to 2 beverages.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it