Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza)

Options
Yep, I bet that got your attention.

Followed the recipe out of Gozney’s kitchen.  I gringo-fied it a little bit, using nduja instead of lamb suet (hat tip to @caliking on that option). The dough is rolled out super thin for these.  The dough balls are only about 95g:

Topped with the lahmacun.  It’s a mix of ground lamb, tomatoes, onions, parsley, garlic, turkish red pepper, turkish pepper paste, and lots of other things:

Put on top of the dough and spread thin:

Thess things cook up fast.  Maybe 90 seconds:

They get a squeeze of lemon and then topped with parsley and diced onions coated in salt and sumac:

Then you roll these bad boys, cut them in half and serve:

Damn these were good.  Really different.  You definitely get a Middle Eastern vibe from all the flavors, and the lamb isn’t overpowering at all.  The heat hits you on the back end.  They’ve got a kick to them, but it’s pretty mild. 

Thanks for looking!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Leopoldstoch
    Options
    Looks great!!

Brandon - Ohio

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    My favorite growing up on this!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I’d love to try an authentic version.  I got this as close as I could.  Just couldn’t track down any minced lamb suet.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Haven't heard of this before John, but it looks/sounds delicious!

One of the two best dishes I've had in my life was from a restaurant a block away from the US Embassy in Ankara (they didn't want us wandering too far, even though we and the Turks were much closer allies, back then).  I wish I could remember the name of it; it was a toasted bottom half of some kind of bread loaf, and they assembled the rest of it at your table: a large ladle of melted butter onto the bread, a pile of shaved, perfectly-cooked lamb, and then a fantastic red sauce which may have had most of the same ingredients as your lahmacun, minus the lahmb.   =) Damn it was good!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    That looks really delicious and unique.  I like it!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I’d love to try an authentic version.  I got this as close as I could.  Just couldn’t track down any minced lamb suet.  
    I'll try and bring some to BB , moms always got a freezer full 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    I'll try and bring some to BB , moms always got a freezer full 
    That would be awesome.  I can bring the rest and we can mix it in and then cook some of these baby’s up at BB!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Excellent looking cool. Definitely off the beaten path and seems well executed - “seems” because I have not been exposed to this dish before and cannot therefore compare. 

Me thinks you’re giving @smokingal a run for her money. 🙂
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Excellent looking cool. Definitely off the beaten path and seems well executed - “seems” because I have not been exposed to this dish before and cannot therefore compare. 

Me thinks you’re giving @smokingal a run for her money. 🙂
    Ha!  Not a chance (I can’t compete with her), but I appreciate the complement nonetheless.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Outfrikkinstanding 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

Turkish cuisine is one of my favorites. This inspires me to learn how to cook more of it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Never heard of or seen that before. Looks delicious. Love trying new things. Great work!  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    WOWZERS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Options
    Top notch

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    John, that looks great. My wife is super proud Armenian. We get these pre-made and frozen often, and when reheated in the egg the crust crisps and it turns out great.  With that being said, I bet yours fresh were fantastic. They are a staple at Christmas, “Little Christmas” (January 6th),  Easter,  and any evening that we need a a quick meal.  Even 2 minutes in the microwave they are not bad for a super quick bite.  Those we have now are beef. A layer of wax paper between each one and they are sacked meat side to meat side. They freeze really well.  

Awesome that you did it from scratch. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    John, that looks great. My wife is super proud Armenian. We get these pre-made and frozen often, and when reheated in the egg the crust crisps and it turns out great.  With that being said, I bet yours fresh were fantastic. They are a staple at Christmas, “Little Christmas” (January 6th),  Easter,  and any evening that we need a a quick meal.  Even 2 minutes in the microwave they are not bad for a super quick bite.  Those we have now are beef. A layer of wax paper between each one and they are sacked meat side to meat side. They freeze really well.  

I did not know that about Valerie.  Now I definitely have to make some of these at NCBB20!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great cook, John!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Yup, Armenian Christmas on the Epiphony , Jan 6th...on that day the Wise Men found the Manger, one of the Wise Men being very tall struck his head quite hard on the Entry and exclaimed "Jesus Christ"  at that moment Joseph looked at Mary and said " write that down, I like I better than Derek"......true story
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    :lol:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.