Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing meat

Options
Do any of you all cook big batches of meat to freeze so you always have some bge meat in your freezer to thaw out when needed. I'm mainly talking like boneless skinless chicken breast and thighs and burgers, and potatoes. Do you do anything special other than like freeze for a little while on a cookie sheet and then transfer to a ziplock bag. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited December 2019
    Options
    All the time...i do quick chill to get them out if the danger zone then vacuum seal

I did a couple whole packers a couple weeks ago , thawed and sliced for sliders

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Getting a Food Saver can pay for itself over time. Then you can buy in bulk at Sam’s or Costco. Cook some and seal and freeze the rest. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Chef Boy RC
    Options
    Can you tell the difference between the fresh and what has been frozen. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I always have cooked egg proteins in the freezer. That's one benefit of there only being two of us. BSL breast, pulled pork and brisket for chili.

I vacuum pack into usable portions then freeze 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Can you tell the difference between the fresh and what has been frozen. 
    IMO, it's better ...i do a lot of large cooks and Beef is always done ahead
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    No, not with the Food Saver. No freezer burn to speak of and keeps longer. I got one a Sam’s like 4 years ago. Still works great. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I'll add that a sous vide is a great tool for reheating proteins 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    Do it all the time with chicken, pork butt, pork tenderloin, etc.  Probably should invest in a vacuum sealer.  Typically just ziploc freezer bags with as much air out as possible.  Great way to have protein ready quickly if needed.  
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Food saver and sous vide is the best way to reheat frozen leftover pulled pork. It's almost as good as fresh, hardly a difference 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    All good advice. Also, if you haven't already, invest in a chest freezer. An upright freezer that is "frost-free" warms up to keep from frosting over, then refreezes. This can result in freezer burn. A chest freezer stays at a constant temperature, but frost builds up over time. Thus, a chest freezer will keep meat much longer without freezer burn. It also seems to freeze things more solidly, so it takes a bit longer to thaw meats.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You could also get an upright freezer that is not frost-free.  Easier to find things on the shelves of an upright than digging through to the bottom of a chest freezer to find items forgotten about.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.