Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT What veggie to sous vide OT

Hey guys, cooking prime rib next weekend would like to sous vide a veggie.  Was thinking either brussel sprouts, or carrots. What do the pros recommend? Plan on making deviled eggs, twice bake potato casserole and grillsome bread, with maybe a crab bisque for starters. 

Comments

• Not a pro. I just cook. 

Carrots. Maple syrup, ginger, S & P.
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Carrots for sure. Butter, brown sugar, S&P is another way to go. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    We like sv carrots a lot.  butter salt pepper and a small squeeze of honey 185 for an hour.  Screaming hot skillet for some browning when done. 
  • Wolfe
    Wolfe Posts: 79
    Thank you all, I will give it a try!! 
  • Yep another vote for carrots and butter and brown sugar!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    asparagus

As above , Carrots
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    not sure I see the point of Sous Vide for any veggie. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    The point is you can cook the veggie to a precise doneness without over cooking it. And hold it at that temp while you finish the rest of the meal.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• What temp do you folks Sous Vide the carrots and asparagus? 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Fayborg said:
    What temp do you folks Sous Vide the carrots and asparagus? 
    Asaparagus 180+- 15 minutes , Carrots baby) 190 about 30, never thought I'd SV veggies, but IMO they are so much better...right there with properly steaming, boiling just looses to much
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the glazed carrots are really good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I use my SV regularly for veggies. Mostly because it's a weeknight and I have small children, a business, too many hobbies and I still want to eat real food.

LEFTOVERS. Take thanksgiving. I shucked 3 dozen ears of corn and made huge amounts of fresh creamed corn. Then I take my leftovers and freeze in 1/2-3/4lb vac sealed bags. I had 4 bags this year. I also did the same with green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole and hashbrown casserole (all pre-toppings) Now I just pick a couple veggies and a protien. I turn my SV on when I come home at lunch and I throw it all in the SV at 140. Get home all I have to do is put the casseroles into dishes and top them, only need them to crisp the tops and sear the meat. Dinner is on the table in 20-30 minutes after getting home with only about 5-10 minutes of active cooking time.

Carrots are obligatory. You convert so much more starch to sugar and it totally changes the flavor profile IMO. Its so much more... carrot...
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Sweet potato casserole, but sous vide the potatoes instead of boiling and you will retain so much more flavor. Same with mashed potatoes. I SV mine with butter and cream already added!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I like carrots in the SV.  green beans are really good too
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95