Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Butt

Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am completely out of pulled pork, I have three butts in the freezer and I do not want to buy another right now. Can I use the frozen one since I will be doing low and slow?
Oh, and by the way, the Wabash Valley Warriors,from here in Mt. Carmel, are now the National Junior College Champions.
Jake

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Orio Kid, congratulations on the Wabash Champs..! I have a theory that you can do a frozen butt. Never tried a fully frozen one, and reason says that it should make no difference how you thaw it, other than a fast thaw in a micro wave. The only hitch is you might have a deeper bark, and a much slower cook to the finish. I won't know till I try it myself. I have done frozen ribs wih no ill affect and actually a much deeper smoke ring. Just thaw the exterior enough to get a rub to stick.
    Best I can do for ya...Good luck.
    C~W[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Char-Woody,[p]I have some giant pork chops that have been in my freezer for a while and are frozen solid. I put them on my kitchen counter around noonish. I would like to cook them tonight at around 7ish. Should I do that sink trick of placing them in a sink full of warm water (I think that's the sink trick...)?[p]Cornfed
  • Char-Woody
    Cornfed, aye brother,, but use cold water..right from the tap.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Cornfed,[p]If you are going to sear and dwell them, I would lower the searing temp a bit (for near frozen) as the surface will char before the inside is done. The water trick works also.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Orio Kid,[p]Frozen won't work well, but partially thawed will. You need to thaw the surface 1/4" of meal (warm water with the meat in a ziplock bag). Dry very well and apply your rub. Smoke heavy very early in the cook (<200°F) and add no more smoke unless you like a slight bite to the crust. Cook as usual.[p]Spin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed,[p]Thanks, CW and Spin. I'm thinking sear and dwell, but I think I'm gonna go for about a 550 or 600 degree sear instead of 800+. These are pork loin center cut chops. At least an inch and a half thick. We've been debating how to season them. I have some garlic peppercorn charcrust. My friend and neighbor just bought some Bonesuckin' BBQ sauce. I usually go with salt, pepper, and rosemary plus a small amount of olive oil. I really enjoy that simple flavor, and might do that on one of the large chops since these things are so nice looking I don't want to ruin them by excessive seasoning. Perhaps one will be simple and the other will have some crazy concoction. Any ideas?[p]Thanks,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Cornfed, best idea I have is to come over and soak suds and enjoy that meal with ya..hey..you will love that B'suckin sauce.
    C~W

• Cornfed
    Char-Woody,[p]Come on over! I'm a pretty boring guy today, though. I'm sitting in front of this darn computer trying to work on a school assignment. No suds today yet, but probably tonight after I reach my frustration threshold with this program.[p]Nothing like big thick pork chops and a beer or two to get past the frustration, though...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Spin
    Cornfed,[p]I agree with C~W. The nice thing about cooking is the variety of ways to make a single cut of meat.[p]If cooking the partially thawed chops, leave a slightly longer sear and dwell time (about a minute each).[p]Spin

• Char-Woody,
    That sounds great. So ya think an overnight thaw would be good enough for anything.

• Char-Woody
    Cornfed, Sounds like a deal..OK to make ST do the dishes??
    Cheers ro ya..its Sunday, take a break.:-)
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    smokaman, My head says..what better way to thaw than during the cook..but I have yet to blunder thru a partially thawed item. Some say to bring to room temps before the cook..I kinda wonder about that one also.
    I can also see a overcooked exterior and a very under cooked interior..Not know till I do it. Like diving, where did the bottom go? Unknown till ya hit it.
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W