Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermoworks signal

Anyone use Thermoworks signal BBQ alarm and if so what your thoughts?
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• I picked up a signals+billows last night with their sales. Christmas is coming early. 

Not sure I need it but why not. The wifi connection is really what I'm after.

For those that have it (signals+billows), how often do you use the blower? Every cook? Only low and show?
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I've had mine a couple of months.  I never use either for quick cooks like steak, burgers, fish, etc.  I've used the Signals by itself for Tri Tip and plan to use it for spatchcock chicken.  I bought the Billow for long cooks (anything over an hour).  To me the main limiting factor is how long it takes to get the pieces out, plug them in, put them away after, etc...
  • aem said:
    I've had mine a couple of months.  I never use either for quick cooks like steak, burgers, fish, etc.  I've used the Signals by itself for Tri Tip and plan to use it for spatchcock chicken.  I bought the Billow for long cooks (anything over an hour).  To me the main limiting factor is how long it takes to get the pieces out, plug them in, put them away after, etc...
    Right, I expect that I would only use billows on any extend cook (butts, brisket, etc). I typically use my current probe/grate temp tool on all cooks over an hour. Just trying to gauge how often people use billows.
  • grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    I have CONSTANT issues with my signals not connecting to wifi, losing connection etc... As expensive as they are you would think Thermoworks would have their crap together. I wish I had gotten something else. I was unable to find anything online about reconnecting the Signals unit to wifi, all I can ever find is that it automatically connects the first time, but not how to re-connect if you get a new router or change your password.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    From the Thermoworks app:

Menu - devices - signals - options - network settings

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Today is is my first cook with it, no issues so far, 8 eight hours in. I've played with it the last couple of weeks around the house with no issues either? Perhaps it's a defective unit?