Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping The Whiz and other Charcoal Gurus

Options
uncbbq
uncbbq Posts: 165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did two 7.5 lb. butts overnight and they turned out beautifully, but I used a firebox full of lump. It was Wicked Good Comp. Blend; I estimate about 5-6 lbs, filled to at least the bottom of the fire ring. Large egg, used Guru, thankfully, because when I got up this morning the fan was going constantly maintaining the temp. at 260.
Is this an excessive amount to burn? I was expecting much less consumption, particularly with WGCB lump.
Is is possible that my large drip pan (14.5 inch pizza pan) is causing more fuel to be consumed? I can't see how, but that's all I can come up with. Incidentally, ambient temp about 40 deg.
I just know there is no way this could have gone to 20 or 24 hours. Total duration as it was--15 hr.

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    uncbbq,
    I'm sure no expert on lump, but it has happened to me as well. Same lump, different day. I guess lump brands all have bad days.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    uncbbq,
    I did the identical cook using the same charcoal filled close to the top of the fire ring and my fire ran for about 20 hours at a dome temp. of 250 degrees. The butts were ready to pull at 19 hours, and afterwards, I stirred the coals and still had almost half the charcoal left. Don't have an answer to your question, but it could be your dome temp. was a little high and/or your thermometer was reading a little low. And, it could be none of those things.....this has been known to happen on occasion for unexplained reasons.........BTW, I typically use a pizza pan lined with foil for a drip pan when I'm using the plate setter.

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    egret,
    Thanks for the input. Perhaps I was running a little hotter than I thought. But...who knows? It is good to know that you get good results with a pizza pan. It surely does keep things cleaner.