Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

National Fried Pie Day - December 1st

So tomorrow is National Fried Pie Day.  While I wasn't aware of this until just now and therefore had no plans, I feel compelled to celebrate this one.  Deep fried desserts aren't something I partake in with frequency, but man are they good.  Anyone else have plans?  If you are lucky enough to have food establishments which serve up some decent ones, that counts too.
It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,249
    edited November 2019
    Please be sure to show your work, as you always do! We’re in for a treat.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    smokingal said:
    So tomorrow is National Fried Pie Day.  While I wasn't aware of this until just now
    I wasn’t aware of it either. Never heard of it until now. Speaking of fried pies, does anyone else remember when McDonalds use to have the deep fried apple pies? Unfortunately they stopped deep frying them years ago. That is the only thing that McDonalds ever had that I really liked. Those things were great. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Too many laps of the sun so yes I remember the fried pies and usually the first bite was too hot!!  Regarding Sunday, I will be eating crow if I hose up the post turkey purge cook-and it won't be fried.  Gonna have to pass but appreciate the alert. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Sorry @SGH.  What you are describing is well before my time, but it certainly sounds plausible that it was the best thing McD's had to offer.  Well, that and their beef tallow fried fries.  My experiences with dry aged A5 Wagyu tallow and fries have been top notch.

Hell, maybe I'll fry the planned pie in it too.
    Arteflame grill grate

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    smokingal said:
    Sorry @SGH.  What you are describing is well before my time, but it certainly sounds plausible that it was the best thing McD's had to offer. 
    It was definitely the best thing that they had. They were actually very good. If you find yourself overseas, most McDonalds outside of the US still deep fries the pies 👍 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    I remember, and miss, the McD deep fried apple pie.  As mentioned, I also remember the burnt lips and fingers that would sometimes result on that first bite.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • smokingal
    edited December 2019
    SGH said:
    smokingal said:
    Sorry @SGH.  What you are describing is well before my time, but it certainly sounds plausible that it was the best thing McD's had to offer. 
    It was definitely the best thing that they had. They were actually very good. If you find yourself overseas, most McDonalds outside of the US still deep fries the pies 👍 
    I'm not a fan of McD's (or fast food in general).  However, about 10 years ago, I stumbled into one in Amsterdam after a very long night of partying and even in that state could not bare to eat the food.  Every bit as nasty as it is in the States.  I did not, however, order a fried pie.  Shame.
    Arteflame grill grate

• lousubcap
    @smokingal You could have at least bought and consumed a beer... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    edited December 2019
    lousubcap said:
    @smokingal You could have at least bought and consumed a beer... B)
    My liver and kidneys were still struggling to process the copious amounts of trappist ale I had consumed overnight.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I remember fried pies - from before there was a McDonalds. They just seemed to disappear, replaced by those awful Hostess pies! And of course, the McD's version. I had no idea there was now a "day" for them. I miss real fried pies!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    smokingal said:
    SGH said:
    smokingal said:
    I'm not a fan of McD's (or fast food in general).  However, about 10 years ago, I stumbled into one in Amsterdam after a very long night of partying and even in that state could not bare to eat the food.  Every bit as nasty as it is in the States.  I did not, however, order a fried pie.  Shame.
    At least they're consistent in the quality of food they deliver lol
    NC - LBGE
  • Bojangles has the sweet potato pie.   Not sure if it is deep fried or not.  
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    It has to be.
    NC - LBGE
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I have not been into a McDonald's since I worked there in high school, and that was a long  time ago. We had four deep fryers: two for fries, one for pies, and one for the filet-o-fish. All used pure lard. After a while you ate enough and smelled enough that nothing was very appetizing. We did make some interesting things, like a Big Mac bun with a patty on the bottom and the fish on the top. Micky D's surf and turf. Management never bought into the idea.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I remember burning my mouth on those Mickey-D's pies.  Almost as dangerous as that fresh-out-of-the-oven Shakey's Pizza!   :o

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    The greatness just keeps on coming.  Now that is a true celebration.  Congrats.
    Waiting for your repeal prohibition day creation(s). 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Another winner!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE