Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Chipped Blade Shun OT

Options
Noticed it yesterday. No one is copping to it. 

Is this to be expected?  (The chip, not the denials — those are totally expected around here.)

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Holy crap!  They'll definitely fix or replace it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    oooooh, not nice! Do you watch Forged in Fire? Looks like your Shun was tested like they do on that show...you know...can it cut through this German Army helmet? or can it cut through this wire fence?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    We have well water (not city water) at our house.  It has a very high saline content.  When we accidentally drop a knife into dish water, this always happens to our knives.  We know not to soak them, but accidents happen.  We just sharpen the Shuns PAST the little missing chunks.  It kills me when this happens!!

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I don’t know, but I assume that blade is stainless steel. Chips like that are to be expected in carbon steel, but I’m surprised to see it on your Shun. 

Going forward, don’t let anyone use your blades. 😊
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks like someone used your chef knife as a bone knife!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I saw that once when a buddy tried to open a coconut with a 10” classic chef. I have never had mine chip.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    My Shun is like new, even after several sharpening on the Japanese water stones.  But I only let the wife use my Henkels!  And I hand wash, dry, and store in my custom built knife drawer all the good knives!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Make 99 more of those chips and you will have a fancy hacksaw 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Just joking above. Sorry about the blade. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    VG-10 is much more brittle than German steel (harder), it wont take allot of twisting, the good news is that Shun will most likely replace it.