Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What’s so special about turbinado Sugar

Options
What’s the difference between brown and turbinado sugar when cooking ribs?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Turbinado is only ground one time so it is usually a little coarser. A very astute tongue will also notice that it is slightly “stronger” in taste due to less processing. However the average Joe will not usually notice. Other than that nothing magical or life changing about it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    What Scottie just said! I have some favorite rub recipes saved over the years specifying turinado sugar. To me I just like being able to see the larger crystals in the rub as I shake it on. Make sense? It just works for me! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Would it make sense to use a mortar and pestle to grind it up if one were using said magic sugar?
    NC - LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    wardo said:
    Would it make sense to use a mortar and pestle to grind it up if one were using said magic sugar?
    ? Then why bother using turinado to start with ? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • wardo
    Options
    Fair point...
    NC - LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Brown sugar is refined white sugar that has molasses added Back in during the processing. 

Turbinado sugar is less refined (not processed to white sugar). It comes from the first crush of the sugar cane and has natural residual molasses left over from the cane. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Another great aspect of turbinado sugar is that it doesn't burn on the grill nearly as quickly as white or brown sugar.  Rubs that contain turbinado grill nicely without burning.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Thanks for all info/help.
  • wardo
    Options
    Another great aspect of turbinado sugar is that it doesn't burn on the grill nearly as quickly as white or brown sugar.  Rubs that contain turbinado grill nicely without burning.

Regular sugar starts to burn at 350 I thought.  What does turbinado sugar start to burn at?
    NC - LBGE