Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Honey Ginger Brioche Bread Pudding

Options
Posting this as feedback, and also as a note of thanks for the many tips given when I asked for some recently. 

Suggestions from @SciAggie, @northGAcock, @TideEggHead, made think that the bread mattered. I can do bread. Decided on honey ginger brioche for the bread part of it. First try was a disaster (lost track of the hydration %, too much butter, fell asleep when I was supposed to shape and proof the dough) but second try was pretty good. Made a ginger honey concoction for the brioche, with orange zest for good measure. 

Based on advice from @blind99, @Eoin, and @smak, tweaked the custard. Figured I’d split the difference re: the eggs:milk ratio for the custard, and went with 1.5 eggs for every cup of milk. Some measure of cream was added, since I was low on milk. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla too. Added a shot of my late FIL’s favorite tipple, Bushmills 16yo, in his memory. As advised, soaked the bread briefly in the custard. Layered in chopped toasted pecans and craisins. Toasted slices of brioche formed the base for their cubed brothers to stand on and get crunchy. 

Baked it all for about an hour or so, then topped with turbinado sugar and broiled before serving at our friends’ place. Homemade creme anglaise on the side. 

Turned out spectacular! Pics ain’t the best, but you get the idea. I’ll say,  with little humility, that this was the best bread pudding I’ve had. Consistency of the custard was just right. All the flavors that I wanted were there, and beat the pants off any blogged recipe or whatever that I found on the interwebz. 

Proved, yet again, that some of the best cooking minds are right here on this forum. I came home with an empty dish. Thanks for (again)  helping me make a great item.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Top work. Ginger in the brioche sounds like a good addition as well.

Edit: What kind of ginger and what proportions with the honey?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Oh man. I would’ve killed to be able to try some of that.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    it it helps that you are a fine cook my friend. I’m glad it turned out well. I’ll bookmark this cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Top work. Ginger in the brioche sounds like a good addition as well.

Edit: What kind of ginger and what proportions with the honey?
    Honey Ginger Brioche (makes 2 loaves)

Flour, bread 500g
    Eggs 4
    Honey, ginger infused  120ml
    Milk 50ml

Yeast 15gm
    Salt 5gm
    Orange zest   1 orange
    Ginger, honey infused, strained, minced   100gm

Butter, unsalted   150g (cold, whacked with a rolling pin to make it pliable)

- Make ginger infused honey by heating up ginger 100gm with enough honey to cover. Simmer for 10mins or so, then take off heat and let steep for a few hours.

- Mix flour, salt, yeast for 10 mins.

- beat the eggs, milk, honey, orange zest together. 

- Add to dry ingredients and knead for 10 mins.

- Add cold butter, a little bit at a time, until fully incorporated.

- Let sit at RT for 1 hr. Then refrigerate overnight, upto 24 hrs. 

- Let dough come to RT.

- Degas the dough. Form and shape per preference. Let the shaped loaf proof 
     for about 2 hrs. 

- Brush loaves with egg wash. Bake at 380F x 25mins or until IT of loaf= 195F-200F.

*Leftover ginger infused honey is great on so many things (ice cream, cake, pie, etc.)

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Way to go brother! I’m sure it was amazing! I will have to try and make your version over the holidays.
    LBGE
    AL
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Mighty fine work there, @caliking.  Mighty fine indeed.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    MOTHER of PEARL
    very, very awesome work. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    After blowing leaves in the morning and loading up the firewood for the stove tonight and tomorrow I sat down in my chair to relax.  I see this post.  All I want to do is get a shower and come down to a bowl of this bread pudding waiting for me. It looks simply awesome. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    MOTHER of PEARL
    very, very awesome work. 
    Your tip about not soaking the bread was well taken. Turned out near perfect with just a brief soak in the custard. 

• caliking
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    After blowing leaves in the morning and loading up the firewood for the stove tonight and tomorrow I sat down in my chair to relax.  I see this post.  All I want to do is get a shower and come down to a bowl of this bread pudding waiting for me. It looks simply awesome. 
    Thanks. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    :clap:
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX