Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Made a new kind of pie: OT

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Didn’t have to make the turkey this year, wife and I worked the day before and after so my in-laws cooked most everything.  We couldn’t go empty handed so we made a few desserts.   The first is a recipe from Souther Cast Iron magazine, it’s a key lime pie with a cranberry glaze.  It was so simple

Crust:
1 and  3/4 cups of ginger snaps crushed   
5T of butter
3/4 of light brown sugar 
baked for about 10min at 350 let cool completely 

Filling: 1/2cup of orange juice
1/4cup of key lime juice
2lightly beaten eggs
2 cans of sweet and condensed milk 
cook on low heat whisking continually until it thickens

Glaze:
3 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup of orange juice 
3/4 cup of sugar ( we sued raw sugar)
cook until the cranberries have bust on low/medium heat (took 10 min) then strain and press to get as much juice as possible.  

With the crust completely cool pour in the filling and let it sit for about 10 min.  Pour the glaze on top and set it in the fridge for at least 6hours.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    it looks great.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Looks great, I really like key lime
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I like key lime. 
    My wife loved key lime until she was introduced to key lime pinnacle vodka. One evening we were sitting around drinking it straight laughing and just having a blast with friends.  At the end of the evening she got up and it all hit her at once. She had a very, very, very rough night. That was 4-5 years ago. 

She can not / will not have key lime anything to this day. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wow cranberry on top of key lime?  Usually the key lime is pretty tart, but with the cranberry on top I would have to imagine it was doubly so.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina it was tart, but the sugar in the crust and filling off set things.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    totally new concept . . . key lime juice,  didn't know there was such a thing
    TY for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I like key lime. 
    My wife loved key lime until she was introduced to key lime pinnacle vodka. One evening we were sitting around drinking it straight laughing and just having a blast with friends.  At the end of the evening she got up and it all hit her at once. She had a very, very, very rough night. That was 4-5 years ago. 

She can not / will not have key lime anything to this day. 

I'm the same way with southern comfort 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)