Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger - Couple Questions

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my BGE Wednesday. Cooked some steaks Wednesday, and did my first smoked turkey yesterday. The results, as expected, were phenomenal. I have pictures of the bird going on the grill, but it didn't last long enough after it came off to get a picture![p]I do have a couple questions though.[p]I've already lost some gasket. I can't seem to post a picture, but in the back in front of the hinge I've lost 3-4" of gasket. Burned up. I suspect that the bird squirted some juice out, and it caught fire or smoldered the gasket. Light/air definitely gets through, should this be replaced already?[p]Also, I'm surprised by how much lump is burning. I filled the firebox close to the top, and after 6 hours @ 350 I only have a few chunks of coal and ash. Maybe just because it was cold and raining?[p]P.S. I wish this forum used a more advanced software. This is really cumbersome.

Comments

• David,
    You probly burned the gasket off cooking the steaks , especially if you T-Rexed them. Replace it with a Rutland gasket. Go to the The Naked Whis.com and it will tell what to buy and how to install it.
    Welcome to the egging adventure.
    360 guy--Gary

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    David,
    a few answers or thoughts anyway...your gasket now has a major flaw and the burning will just get worst since the heat will exacerbate the gap. Some guys will try to patch the gap with common window felt available at any hardware store. Eventually however you most likely will need to replace your gasket.
    As for burning if you got 6 hours at 350 out of a filling only to the top of your firebox I'd say you did fairly well. Unfortunately the myth that you only need a couple handfuls of lump is a farce let alone a bag lasting 4 months! BTW have you checked the calibration of your dome thermometer?
    And lastly since you don't like this "old" board perhaps you'll like the beta version instead so check that one. Realize though that the majority prefers this old board and also that posts made here show on the new but not the other way around.

[ul][li]New board that you might like better[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    David,[p]Thanks for the info. I figured the gasket would get worse too. I'd been thinking about a more resistant gasket, so I'll likely go with a Rutland. It definitely didn't burn up at high temp though, as it happened on the turkey, NOT the steaks. The turkey was about level with it though, and I suspected some fat helped it burn.[p]Glad I know the BGE burns more than some of the claims make it sound like. I don't have a problem with that![p]Firing it up in the newly falling snow as I type...
  • Slo-n-Lo Joe
    Options
    David,
    Welcome to the cult! Regarding the lump, I agree that you should get more life out of a load than that. I did a 24 hour cook two days ago and had enough left for another cook. I suspect it's the lump you are using. Check out the Whiz and look for some alternatives in your area. I use Qik Joe.