Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New plan this year. Spatchcock. 24+ hour dry brine. 1st time on the egg.

Options
acolle
acolle Posts: 133
Tossing out the old way. Going for something totally new this year. Even with this crazy Denver snow. 
Spatchcocking it will be. Dry-brining with salt (a little baking powder) then dropping it in the fridge for a few nights.
Slow-cook, indirect heat, legs pointed toward back. Going to pull it when the breast hits 150°F.
Possibly a little cherry. Might toss in some peach or pecan. Undecided on that part.
Thoughts?
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I did this last week and it turned out wonderful!!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    Did you Spatchcock before the brine, or brine it whole then cut before it went on?
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    I did it last year that way (just an overnight dry brine) with cherry, which imparted a very nice color.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It sounds like a good plan. A couple of thoughts:
    1) I don't really see an advantage to low and slow for a turkey, so I would cook at about 350ish. 
    2) This is personal preference, but I would go easy on the wood. Just a little bit of fruitwood is plenty. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    acolle said:
    Did you Spatchcock before the brine, or brine it whole then cut before it went on?
    Spatchcock then dry brine

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    As noted above, cherry for that rich mahogany color.  Prior to any adult supervisory beverages I use a hatchet to spatch the turkey.  Gets thru the rib cage with ease.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Get yourself some good hand pruners for spatching the Turkey or chicken. I have set just for that purpose. I wash them and oil them with mineral oil to prevent rust.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    What do you guys do for a dry brine?

I'm a big fan of the spatchcock bird.  I think you'll love it and the tips above are exactly how I'm planning to do mine tomorrow.
    NC - LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Like large heavy knife for spatchcock. Also like palm full of cherry/pecan mic chips (dry) for smoke: not very much
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.