Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun Chicken Ragu

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
Wait, wat??  Hey, I didn't name it; Chef John did.  

Has poached, shredded chicken breast, andoille sausage, and bacon.  I deviated from the recipe just a bit; used thighs instead of breasts, and grilled/smoked rather than poached, and while the grill was lit, why not blacken the bell peppers a bit too?  I also didn't use quite as much bacon, as I ran out.  

Peppers were done before the cheekun, which was timed great as I was also cooking the roux/Trinity mixture:

Everybody in the pool!  I had to swap in my largest DO, my largest skillet didn't look like it'd hold everything (already had the fond formed/mixed in though, so that was okay).  

Ladled onto rice and sprinkled with thin scallions, for the Money Shot:

This was great, will definitely be making it again.  Thanks for looking!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTlESghNBDs

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    well done, my friend!  That right there looks like the real deal.  I can smell it from here.  Ca best bon oui
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Looks like some tasty cold weather eats to me.  Nice work.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    looks fantastic!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great, man!
    Options
    @Botch Thanks for posting this!  I had chicken breast left from grilling I was going to make chicken salad out of until I read your post and I knew I had to give it a try.  I didn't have sausage so I subbed shrimp.  Thanks again. 
    I'm on my second plate.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Outstanding. I want this for thanksgiving with the leftover turkey. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes sir!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    @Botch Thanks for posting this!  I had chicken breast left from grilling I was going to make chicken salad out of until I read your post and I knew I had to give it a try.  I didn't have sausage so I subbed shrimp.  Thanks again. 

I'm on my second plate.
    That's cool, Bucky; I was actually thinking about how good shrimp, or crawdads, would be in this dish.  
    (it's pretty good the second day, too)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!

Your shrimp version looks darn tasty too, @bucky925

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.