Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Bread pudding recipe?

Can't decide whether I want to bake a pie or bread pudding for Thanksgiving. I'm leaning towards the bread pudding, so am asking for any tried and true recipes from the collective here. 

I'm thinking of starting with a sourdough loaf. I want toasted pecans, raisins, cinnamon and some other stuff in the mix. And a sauce of some kind, but can't decide which - caramel? Butter rum? Creme anglaise?

TIA for your suggestions :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited November 2019
    The Perini steakhouse in Buffalo Gap, Tx is quite famous for their bread pudding. This is their recipe:
    https://www.cowboysindians.com/2017/08/taste-of-the-west-recipe/

I prefer a caramel sauce over the whisky sauce personally. I also add a bit of whisky to the caramel sauce. I don't have a "tried and true" recipe. I do know it's important to add a bit of lemon juice or corn syrup to the simple sugar mix or the sauce can crystallize into a rock...Adding an acid or different molecular sugar prevents that from happening.

I make the bread pudding from time to time. I think it needs a good long soak in the custard - like 30min-hour or so. I'll be honest and say my custard doesn't always come out the way I would like. It seems to break or curdle - not sure how to describe it. It tastes great but the texture is sometimes a bit off if you're being picky. I think that's more about my skill than the recipe. I'm sometimes a bit haphazard in the amount of bread I use, adding more or less depending on how much I have.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    My favorite recipe is from the Tartine Bakery in San Francisco.

https://alexandracooks.com/2009/10/13/the-best-brioche-bread-pudding-so-much-love-for-tartine/

It is a little more custard-y than some bread puddings.  But that is how I like it.

I did this at a DizzyFest a few years back.

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks @SciAggie and @smak. These already look and sound better than what I found with the googlez. 

I plan on soaking the bread overnight in the custard. Did this with French toast recently and it turned out pretty good. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    A lady at school that is an outstanding cook shared her recipe with me:

Jack Daniels Bread Pudding

2 can Cinnamon Rolls (cooked & Cubed)

(can cook the day before)

3 cups milk

2 teaspoons cinnamon

6 eggs, beaten

2 sticks butter, melted

2 ½ cups sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

½ cup pecans, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven 350*. Grease 9x13 dish.

Mix cubed cinnamon rolls, milk and cinnamon in large bowl. Let bread soak for 30 to 45 minutes until pieces are fully saturated.

Mix eggs, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla thoroughly until sugar is dissolved.

Pour over soaked bread, mix till combined, pour into your greased 9x13 dish. Sprinkle with pecans, push down into the bread.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until browned and set in the center

Whiskey Sauce:

1 stick butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg, beaten

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 oz Jack Daniels

Mix butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is melted. (When you taste the mixture it will be smooth and not gritty from the sugar).

Remove from heat, add Jack Daniels, stir until well blended.

Pour over hot bread pudding, let soak in.

Serve warm or cold

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    oh man, that sounds good. I wonder if I could make a cinnamon swirl kind of SD loaf?

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I always like a good bourbon sauce whenever I make bread pudding! Buffalo trace or makers.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    For me, bread and butter pudding must be moist right through with a crunchy top sprinkled with demerara sugar. Nutmeg in the custard too.
  • caliking
    Eoin said:
    For me, bread and butter pudding must be moist right through with a crunchy top sprinkled with demerara sugar. Nutmeg in the custard too.
    That’s what I’m shooting for. Nutmeg in the custard sounds great,  and I’ll have to remember to sprinkle sugar on the top. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i'm with @eoin.  for this reason i don't like the overnight soak - it breaks the bread down into gooiness. i add the liquid to the bread,toss, and let it soak in - press the bread down into it like it's a sponge - then add some more until it's just starting to swim in it.  so there's enough custard to hold everything together. the top layer of bread should be reaching for air on the shoulders of their buddies below, so they dry out a little and get a little crunchy on top.

any old stale-ish bread is fine, esp your sourdough!

i'm pretty freeform with the liquid - a few cups of milk, or half and half, a few large eggs, some sugar (1/2 cup or so), a good pinch of salt, and a nice glug of vanilla.   
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    The bread part can be any leftover bread / pastry products. One of my favorite ingratiates is stale Krispy Kreme Donuts. This is not a health dessert.....but one of my favorites. Agree with all above on the soaking.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    The bread part can be any leftover bread / pastry products. One of my favorite ingratiates is stale Krispy Kreme Donuts. This is not a health dessert.....but one of my favorites. Agree with all above on the soaking.
    damn i love the way you think!  that's some next level stuff!
  • caliking
    @blind99 you win the day for most poetic recipe writing :)

Point noted re: soaking. Thought sourdough would hold up to an overnight soak, but maybe I should reconsider.

@northGAcock I dig that idea. Not sure how many doughnuts would make it to the bread pudding if I got a box home =)

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I can also attest to what @northGAcock said, we have a local place that makes it using leftover croissants and it is really good!
    LBGE
    AL
  • blind99
    cali, glad i could provie a little entertainment.  looking forward to your bread pudding.  please try to make just some average bread pudding the first time, or we'll all feel bad :)

• caliking
    blind99 said:
    cali, glad i could provie a little entertainment.  looking forward to your bread pudding.  please try to make just some average bread pudding the first time, or we'll all feel bad :)

There's a chance I might screw it up, since I don't have any reference as such. But I'm pretty sure it'll be decent because of the tips/pointers gleaned from the fine folks here :)