Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Ham Recipes?

Options
@johnmitchell asked me for one, see here

I've never made one myself, but I bet some of you have.  Can anyone help a brotha out?

sound it out yaidjit

Comments

• pswarren
    Options
    I like to keep it simple, Double smoked naked ham. Store bought ham, score the ham, set the egg for 250-275 with a little cherry wood, heat until 140 internal and enjoy. I also like to use Gentry's BBQ Ham Bone seasoning on the ham after the scores start to open up during cooking.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    this would make better use of your time =)

this is actually a great recipe but you need to order some ingredients now to have them in time

Dr. Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham

Ham should be a fully cooked or partially cooked ½ shank variety or can be shoulder variety (water added can be used, as long as the water added does not exceed 23% water added product.) If it is pre-smoked with hickory, that seems to work out best. Patti/Jean or Cooks among the best, but other varieties can be used!

Glazing Sauce:
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)(dark grade B has more flavor than grade A)
    ¼ cup honey
    2 Tbsp cider vinegar
    1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
    1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
    2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)

Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous or thick looking sauce.

Cooking instructions:
    Score outer skin of ham to a depth of ½ inch in a crisscross diamond pattern. This will allow the glazing sauce to penetrate below the skin, into the actual ham. Place ham (un-glazed) into a shallow roasting pan or roasting rack. If pineapple and cherries are desired on the outside, add them when you start the glazing process. Cook in oven @ 275° – 300° with a loose tent of aluminum foil over the top for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. Baste with glazing sauce the last hour of cooking time and continue to cook until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 140°. Remove from oven and allow to sit covered for 20 to 30 minutes before carving!

Cooking instructions for outdoor cooking:
    This can be done on a grill over indirect heat or in a water smoker or other type of cooker, again over indirect heat or “low & slow” type cooking. Do not tent over ham if done on grill, water smoker or other cooker; this would prevent smoke from penetrating the ham.

Place water soaked chunks of mesquite, hickory or pecan (we prefer the smoke of pecan over all the others) on coals 5 minutes before putting ham on cooker. This will allow the ham to obtain maximum smoke flavor during the second cook cycle. ( the first cook cycle is the cycle the processor uses.) If even more smoke flavor is desired, place ham in freezer for 1 to 1 ½ hours prior to cooking to allow outer edges of ham to start to freeze. Go easy on this procedure; you don’t want the ham frozen hard!
    Maintain temperature of cooker/grill at 225° to 275° during cook cycle.

If using a water smoker, fill water pan ¾ full with hot water and add 2 cups of orange, pineapple, or orange/pineapple mix, sweetened grapefruit or apple juice to the water. (all of them act as tenderizer as the steam penetrates the meat.) (I use a ¾ full drip pan when cooking on the Eggs, filled with a 50:50 mix of water and orange juice.)

Again, cook for 25 to 30 minutes per lb. until internal temp on the ham shows 140°. A couple of books suggest 145° and 160° respectively. Shirley O. Corriher in her book “CookWise” suggests 140°. We found this to be exactly right. After removing from the Egg, it will climb up to 145° internally. The ham will retain it moistness and the flavor will go thru out the ham this way.

Baste ham with glazing sauce every 10 to 15 minutes during the last hour of cooking time. Glazing compound will burn, so do not start glazing the ham until the internal temp of the ham reaches 120°.
    NOTE: The secret to this process is plenty of smoke and the real maple syrup and granular coffee crystals in the glazing sauce. Use a cheaper cut of ham like mentioned before, and people will think you bought an expensive ham that you had to “hock” your kids for! Yuk! Yuk! (see my pun there?) The glazing sauce will give the ham a fantastic taste, smell and color!

Enjoy!!! El Chefo Dave (aka: Dr. Chicken)

Note: Use an injectable marinade such as Tony Chachere’s Pecan-Honey-Praline in the ham just before cooking to “explode” the flavor of the ham. Be sure to use it @ the recommended rate of 2 fl. Ozs. per pound. It really does take that much to do the job right!

Dr. Chicken’s Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade

First off, let me give a little background into the idea behind this injectable marinade and the reasoning behind it.

Years ago, my Grandma and my Mom both cooked such delightfully good hams at Christmas time; it would make your head swim in delight. The aroma would make our house smell good for days!
    Tender, sweet, moist (most of the time) and just plain scrumptious, it was a memory like all of us have. I always wanted to duplicate the recipe. But, by the time I got around to asking my Mom about it, she was nearly bed ridden and had trouble remembering yesterday much less 40 to 50 years ago. Mom passed away 2 years ago last Valentines Day in 2000. But, I’ve continued to search and work at that memorable cooked ham.
    Five years ago, I took a challenge from my oldest brother to duplicate that recipe in an outdoor cooker. He said, “It can’t be done!” Any of you that have tried my “Dr. Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham” recipe knows that remark was not true then and is not true now!

But, in all honesty, even the double smoked ham recipe left something to be desired. Sometimes it left the ham tasting great, but a little too dry. I believe it was Earl or Sprinter or GFW from the BGE user’s forum that suggested I use an injectable marinade in the ham, such as Cajun Injector’s or Tony Chachere’s Honey-Pecan-Praline marinades. Believe me, they both did a great job, but neither of them added the “punch” like I wanted. So, I have kept on trying.

Well folks, I think I have come up with what I wanted. Either recipe is a winner, but using them both on the same ham will result in by far the most fantastic tasting ham you will ever try.

Please give both recipes a try! You will love the results! I hope too, it will become a “family tradition” like my Mom’s and my Grandma’s was in our family.

Ingredients:

1 Cup of Good clean water (if your city or well water has an offensive taste, please use bottled water)
    1 Cup of light Karo syrup (make sure it is light Karo brand syrup)
    1/8 Cup of Amaretto liqueur (use the real stuff it makes a difference)
    2 TBS of Watkins brand Butter Pecan extract (this is the only Butter-Pecan extract I could find)
    1 TBS of Rum extract (again, I used Watkins because of the better taste than store bought)
    1 tsp of Orange extract (this compliments the orange juice concentrate used in the glaze or basting sauce)
    1 to 2 TBS Vanilla extract (again, I used Watkins because of taste after the first run)

Directions for blending:

Into a medium size sauce pan add the water, Karo syrup and Amaretto. Stir frequently and heat very slowly to avoid scorching the sugars in the syrup.
    Then, add all the remaining ingredients and continue to stir and heat slowly. When the mix looks uniform in color and smooth, remove mix from the stove and allow it to cool to almost room temperature.

Dr. Chicken’s Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade (continued)

Directions for use:

Wrap ham in 2 layers of plastic wrap before starting the injection process.

Using a marinade hypodermic syringe, inject at least 2 fluid ozs. Per pound of meat in a grid pattern through out the entire ham and don’t be afraid to use up to 3 ounces per pound of meat.

Continue to inject the marinade into the ham until the entire amount of marinade is injected evenly into the ham.

Cook the ham as shown in the “Double Smoked Ham” recipe. Be sure to you your favorite wood for smoke flavoring.

Do not cook the ham beyond 145° internal to prevent over cooking and drying out the ham.

Enjoy this recipe and let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Dr. Chicken (aka: Dave Spence)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I’ve been cooking spiral hams on the egg indirect at 325-350. When it gets to about 120ish I glaze it. The glaze is a mixture of 1/2 stick of meted butter, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and about 1/2 cup of peach jelly that I have let simmer and thickened up a bit. They have been turning out pretty good. Did a trial run this past weekend and plan to do 2 hams for Thanksgiving. I can’t take full credit for the recipe. I saw one similar on Lanes Seasoning and Rub Instagram that I tweeked. 
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    I’ve been cooking spiral hams on the egg indirect at 325-350. When it gets to about 120ish I glaze it. The glaze is a mixture of 1/2 stick of meted butter, 1/4 cup of brown sugar and about 1/2 cup of peach jelly that I have let simmer and thickened up a bit. They have been turning out pretty good. Did a trial run this past weekend and plan to do 2 hams for Thanksgiving. I can’t take full credit for the recipe. I saw one similar on Lanes Seasoning and Rub Instagram that I tweeked. 
    Now that right there looks like it’s worth tryin!
    sound it out yaidjit
  • clintmiller
    Options
    I made a ham using this recipe last weekend, and it was amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOPDU_ynEwM

(Orange marmalade/Sriracha glaze)

Here are some pictures...

Image may contain food

Image may contain food and indoor
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    Dam y’all are bringing the 🔥🔥🔥
    sound it out yaidjit
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I know it’s Un-American but I prefer ham over turkey 10:1. If it wasn’t tradition I’d cook ham and only ham on thanksgiving. Never been a huge fan of the turkey. 
    I agree completely with you. Turkey at Thanksgiving is definitely enough to do me all year. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    i kill for turkey sandwiches, even from a deli

pulled bbq turkey sandwiches,  tday turkey sandwiches with stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce from cranberries picked off the river bank tday mornin

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    Here's mine...

2 sticks of salted butter
    1/2 cup DARK brown sugar
    1 cup apple juice 
    1 cup  Captain Morgan's spiced rum
    1/4 cup Sorghum Syrup
    1 cup cranberry juice

basically bring the rum to a boil to burn off the alcohol, then mix everything else to a simmer.

Let the glaze set for ~ 20 minutes on a cooker <350 degrees..

ill hit it with a plumbers torch to really crisp up the sugar on the outside... 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I made baby back ribs last year for turkey day. 

To me, all plated ham pictures look nearly the same. But ham f-ing rules. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• hogfan412
    Options
    I make the Malcolm Reed PIT ham with his recipe and it turns out really good every year.   It is always pretty on the table and makes big pretty slices.   Another good thing about it is I believe it is foolproof .
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    i kill for turkey sandwiches, even from a deli

pulled bbq turkey sandwiches,  tday turkey sandwiches with stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce from cranberries picked off the river bank tday mornin

Black Friday is so much better than Thanksgiving.  The turkey sandwiches offset some of the pain that my wallet feels from SWMBO's shopping.

But then I try to remember that I could be getting things not on sale so...
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    Been using this recipe for 10 years and it never fails.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/788902/finding-egrets-ham-receipe
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the first 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

Several years ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: lots of Sugar Maple wood. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.

New item: just did spiral ham and turned out fine. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Phaqallyall
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    Came here to say this is on the menu this year.  Only thing we're cookin but dems the breaks with the covid.  
    sound it out yaidjit
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have tried the Egret ham recipe a couple of times, and while it is highly regarded on the forum, I haven't had any success with it.
    I truly believe that the recipe is not the problem, it's the type smoker I currently have. I have a Cookshack FEC 120 pellet smoker that moves a tremendous amount of air though it during operation. It tends to dry out the ham. I believe an Egg is much better at moisture retention.
    With that being said, I'm going to give the Egret recipe another go again this year. Perhaps adding a water pan to the smoke with help prevent drying the ham out again,
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited October 2020
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have tried the Egret ham recipe a couple of times, and while it is highly regarded on the forum, I haven't had any success with it.
    I truly believe that the recipe is not the problem, it's the type smoker I currently have. I have a Cookshack FEC 120 pellet smoker that moves a tremendous amount of air though it during operation. It tends to dry out the ham. I believe an Egg is much better at moisture retention.
    With that being said, I'm going to give the Egret recipe another go again this year. Perhaps adding a water pan to the smoke with help prevent drying the ham out again,
    Think you answered your own question. 

I might add - that to me using the Egret recipe with a spiral cut ham doesn't make sense - ALTHOUGH I know some eggers here do. The whole idea of injecting the ham with the syrup is so it essentially stays in the ham. To me using a spiral cut one is like trying to blow up a balloon that has already burst!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.