Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Medium BGE

Hi All - Hosting a friendsgiving at my apartment next weekend and obviously want to do the turkey on the egg. I have never done it before so I was wondering if anyone had any experience on what size bird would fit on a medium? Was going to start looking at my options this weekend. We aren't having a huge gathering, probably 9-10 people so I don't think I need a huge turkey. 

Any other general tips? Do I need a roasting rack/pan? Will that have an effect on the size I can fit (I would think the answer is yes). 

Thanks in advance!
MED - Manhattan

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    If you can, try to find a foil wrapped boneless chicken breast. Restaurant Depot, or meat markets can order for you. Perfect size for your medium and crowd. Bonus.....no bones and simple to carve. Downside, no dark meat.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i believe bge used to state 18 on a medium but i think a 14 pounder would be a better route. farm birds/heritage are longer so stick with a supermarket bird. take the thermo out before closing the dome, to many thermos get bent hitting the turkey, you can make a spacer for the thermo to make more room for it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i believe bge used to state 18 on a medium but i think a 14 pounder would be a better route. farm birds/heritage are longer so stick with a supermarket bird. take the thermo out before closing the dome, to many thermos get bent hitting the turkey, you can make a spacer for the thermo to make more room for it
    Doing some more research it seems like the consesus is around 14 pounder. I saw other people mention removing the thermo. How do you go about this? What kinda of things do you use to plug the spot? 
    MED - Manhattan
  • Spatchcock you don’t have to remove the thermometer.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i believe bge used to state 18 on a medium but i think a 14 pounder would be a better route. farm birds/heritage are longer so stick with a supermarket bird. take the thermo out before closing the dome, to many thermos get bent hitting the turkey, you can make a spacer for the thermo to make more room for it
    Doing some more research it seems like the consesus is around 14 pounder. I saw other people mention removing the thermo. How do you go about this? What kinda of things do you use to plug the spot? 
    if you still have the spring clip on the therm, you dont want it on there on the inside of the dome, it causes problems. remove it and slide the dome out. you can then put the clip back on the dome and slide it back in the hole using it to space the therm further back. some make a wooden disk as a spacer, a wine cork with a hole drilled in it works as well.  even in the large  i stick with 14 pounders and ill do 2 14 pounders over one larger bird
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it