Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size Turkey for a Medium Egg?

Options
Greeting. How big of a Turkey can be cooked spatchcock on a Medium Egg? What about the conventional way of cooking the bird? I am thinking a 12 pounder should fit ok the regular way. I have had my Medium Egg for a bout 2 years and I don't remember what size turkey fits. Thanks!

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I try not to go over 14 lbs. I did a 15 pounder once and it was bumping the sides. Tuesday of this week I did a 12 pounder. That was all spatchcocked. I have only done one non spatchcocked one and I believe it was 16 pounds.
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Spatchcocked works best. You can actually cut the ends of the bones off of the legs to make more room. Closer to 12 will be better. I try to keep mine to no more than 14-16 lbs and I have a large. I like some room to brown the skin better. If you let the grill get up to temp, the heat radiated from the dome will help crisp the skin.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • ptgraphics
    Options
    Thanks. Much appreciated. Not sure what way I will cook it yet. Do I wing it and go for Spatchcocked for Thanksgiving or play it safe? It's just my parents plus the 4 of us so I might just do something different. I did a spatchcocked chicken a few months ago and was surprised how fast it cooked. I placed a paver stone wrapped in aluminum foil on top of the chicken at the beginning of the cook to help press it down.  Can't remember if I went direct or indirect cooking though. Thanks. 
  • DrumMum
    Options
    Hi, all!  I have never posted.  But I bought a used Medium BGE in about Sep or Oct last year.  I used it to smoke a turkey last year....it barely fit in the Med BGE....I can't remember how big it was....probs at least 20#.  I haven't used it a lot.

I just changed jobs, so now I'm an Over-The-Road trucker.  So I haven't really used since...probably Thanksgiving last year!!  I told my husband get two 12 pound turkeys.  He does a big one in the oven, and I do the smoker.

Short story long, I've been on the road so long, didn't remember much about Egging....looked up Mickey's recipe, the one I used last year.  Husband got me an 18# turkey!  I basically dry rubbed turkey, prepared the egg....barely!  lol  Threw the turkey on the grate, direct heat.  It was done in a little over 2 hours.

It was amazing!!!  Another big hit!!!   I just wanted to say how amazing this BGE is!   I'd prefer to do a little more planning, but I can't tell you easy this was!!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    A medium has been my only Egg for over ten years. But it is showing some wear so it will get a big brother by this time next year, Large for all of the available accessories.