Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OffTopic PSA: Full Jamon Iberico with stand at Costco in SouthTexas

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,795
My wife texted this pic to me from Costco. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
  • That looks fantastic. And cheap (based on my experience anyway)!

but...what is that other box to the left?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    That looks fantastic. And cheap (based on my experience anyway)!

but...what is that other box to the left?
    $100 Serrano leg
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    $549 for a half roasted Duck? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Fully cooked, not half roasted.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    That is a fantastic price on probably the best meat on the planet.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    If $549 is a fantastic price I'm scared to ask what they normally run.... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    At a ham bar in Barcelona, there was stuff for 249 euros for a 100g. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Foghorn
    rcone said:
    That was probably aged 30 years or so. 

When I was in Spain in 2016 I seem to remember that the 2 year aged (minimum standard) Jamon Iberico was going for 30+ Euros per pound (they priced it per kilo but I had to translate it to pounds for my brain to put it in context) if you bought a whole leg.  But that was near the source and didn't include the stand.  Based on that, the Costco price seems pretty appropriate to me.  But the longer it is aged the more it costs.  The 30 year stuff was obscenely expensive.  And in a restaurant it is all expensive.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Legume said:
    rcone said:
    Ham. Bar.

Two words that I’ve never heard together.  Thank you for fixing that.  Now I just need to find one.
    Barcelona.  

After the ham bar, stop by the ham museum.  Museo de Jamon.

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited November 2019
    ive seen the maple leaf farms duck at aldis before, maybe they start carrying the that ham next to the speck. at that price they should slice it up for you =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    I saw whole Iberico legs in Madrid that struck me as reasonable/affordable, you just can’t bring one home.  
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Foghorn said:
    rcone said:

When I was in Spain in 2016 I seem to remember that the 2 year aged (minimum standard) Jamon Iberico was going for 30+ Euros per pound (they priced it per kilo but I had to translate it to pounds for my brain to put it in context) if you bought a whole leg.  But that was near the source and didn't include the stand.  Based on that, the Costco price seems pretty appropriate to me.  But the longer it is aged the more it costs.  The 30 year stuff was obscenely expensive.  And in a restaurant it is all expensive.  
    The ham in the photo isn't straight jamon iberico either, it is jamon iberico de bellota - which adds the additional requirements of the pig's diet, required weight, and the number of pigs that can be raised.  For iberico de bellota - they have to spend the final 3 months of their lives grazing on acorns to get them to a required weight (160 kg, around 350 lbs).  During that final grazing period, there can be only 2 pigs per hectare (so only 2 pigs for nearly 2.5 acres) to allow them to eat enough acorns.

Since so much of their weight is added by eating acorns, their fat is closer to the chemical composition of olive oil than to the fat on our commodity pigs here.  It tends to liquify at room temperature, which is why when the hams are hanging in store or bars, they will have cups hanging from the bottom, so ham fat doesn't drip onto customers.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• I'd put it on a biscuit 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Acn said:
    Foghorn said:
    rcone said:

The ham in the photo isn't straight jamon iberico either, it is jamon iberico de bellota - which adds the additional requirements of the pig's diet, required weight, and the number of pigs that can be raised.  For iberico de bellota - they have to spend the final 3 months of their lives grazing on acorns to get them to a required weight (160 kg, around 350 lbs).  During that final grazing period, there can be only 2 pigs per hectare (so only 2 pigs for nearly 2.5 acres) to allow them to eat enough acorns.

Since so much of their weight is added by eating acorns, their fat is closer to the chemical composition of olive oil than to the fat on our commodity pigs here.  It tends to liquify at room temperature, which is why when the hams are hanging in store or bars, they will have cups hanging from the bottom, so ham fat doesn't drip onto customers.
    After a night at the ham bar if you didn't get at least a bit of ham fat dripped on you folks just weren't partying hard enough.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• rcone said:
    That is $950lb. What kind of bar was this? :wink:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I saw some insanely expensive ham in Barcelona this year.  I’d probably snatch that thing up.  

Bought some to bring home before I realized you weren’t supposed to bring it home.  Made a hell of a breakfast before the flight.  

The other couple we were with did the same, but took the chance to bring home…successfully.  😡
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I saw some insanely expensive ham in Barcelona this year.  I’d probably snatch that thing up.  

Bought some to bring home before I realized you weren’t supposed to bring it home.  Made a hell of a breakfast before the flight.  

The other couple we were with did the same, but took the chance to bring home…successfully.  😡
    You can order one.

NOLA
  • buzd504 said:
    I saw some insanely expensive ham in Barcelona this year.  I’d probably snatch that thing up.  

You can order one.

Hmmmm…
  • Jamon serano that is not. It is Iberico. Different animal for one thing.

Prices vary in Spain from thousands to hundreds. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • There’s all kinds of cool stuff in the related products part of that link.  
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Take that thing out of the stand and eat it like a king in the middle ages!!!!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Foghorn said:
    rcone said:

30 years, pig mummies or what 🤪
    Jacksonville FL
  • buzd504 said:

You can order one.

The knife it comes with is worth $10 alone!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan said:
    I approached SWMBO and didn't even get to finish my argument.

What was the approach like here?  "So there's this leg of ham from Costco..."

I'm only asking so as to avoid the eff-up myself and try a different tack.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Those are available here in SoCal also but with both of my daughters away at school what would the wife and I  do with it? It would be a sin to freeze it.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf said:
    Those are available here in SoCal also but with both of my daughters away at school what would the wife and I  do with it? It would be a sin to freeze it.
    It’s been sitting out for years…