Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night flash back! MN last state to require 3.2 beer sold

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November 2019 in Off Topic
I see UT has finally baled out leaving MN drinkers to buy 5%  beer from "under the counter businesses" as we used to call them! 

Only advantage I ever saw was back in the 1960's when I was in college in MO we could travel to KS and buy 3.2 beer at age 18. We would bring it back and think we were so mature LOL!

Our motto was Kansas Pistol  Beer...drink til 3 and p*ss til 2
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    edited November 2019
    RRP said:

Our motto was Kansas Pistol  Beer...drink til 3 and p*ss til 2
    Excuse my fogged memory...it was Kansas Pistol Beer - drink til 2 and p*ss til 3
  • And it was just recently that we Kansan’s got rid of 3.2 beer.  Now it’s all “liquor store” beer here, even in the grocery stores and Walmart!  And much less expensive!
  • I remember when WV had near beer.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited November 2019
    Up until a few years ago we weren't even allowed to buy alcohol on Sundays here in MN. (You could still be served alcohol at a bar/restaurant) It still seems strange buying booze on a Sunday.

3.2 at all grocery stores, gas stations, and off the shelf everywhere else. Minnesota also requires a separate door/entrance and space for selling anything above 3.2 alcohol at a business. (Target, Costco, Cub, Grocery Store, etc.) 

The town where I was raised also has a strange alcohol ordinance. The city owns and operates all the liquor stores. Which prevents Costco from selling anything above 3.2 percent. (So they don't sell any alcohol at that location)

My local Sams Club sells alcohol but again is sold in an attached warehouse with a separate entrance door. Anyone 21+ can buy alcohol from Sams Club. You don't need to be a Sams Club member. I'm not sure if it's city or state law that says businesses can't have any type of memberships that sell alcohol. It might be state. I know it's city for one of our Restaurant Depot stores for memberships. The city of Brooklyn Center doesn't allow private memberships for any businesses. So anyone can go into Restaurant Depot without any kind of membership. So many weird ordinances and laws in this state. 

And everyone thought we were going to be one of the next states to legalize weed!  :o

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    It's been interesting to watch the transition here.  Any unsold beer @ 5% ABV or less left in the church-state-run liquor stores had to be poured down the drain, not sure if the grocery/convenience stores had to do the same with their 4%.  They quit re-stocking a week ago, and with Halloween coming up, shelves started getting bare.  I bought an extra 12-pack to carry me over, just in case.

The good news is that some beers formerly sold only in liquor stores (Stella Artois, and two favorites of mine, Newcastle Nut-brown Ale and the Samuel Adams brews) will now be sold in the stores without the 66.5% "sin tax" that is put on wines and liquor, yes!  Not quite sure how they let that happen, but am glad they did.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• The big brewers were able to get the new ABV just high enough to allow them in but not the original benchmark for craft brew Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  I'm happy to see Sam's Boston Lager, cold on the shelf, but they should have gone to 6% if they had to have a limit. 

The shake out of local breweries who have had a captive market in 4% ABV microbrews will be interesting. 

Utah - Life Regulated!
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    What's considered a "high" ABV for beer, in general?
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    smokingal said:
    What's considered a "high" ABV for beer, in general?
    Lately it seems that 6.5-7% is pretty normal for craft brews.  I’d say 8+ is probably considered high, but it’s not hard to find some styles at 9 on up.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    One thing that frustrates me, as an engineer, is the constant mixing of ABV (4% vs 5%) and ABW (alcohol by weight, where 3.2% is based).  Pick a damn standard, and stick with it!  :anguished:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Why all this frustration?  He has risen!

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Why all this frustration?  He has risen!
    someone doesn't like Jesus.  Hater.  Die.
    MN - the first to raise taxes and the last to make any sort of progressive change.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Hoster05 said:
    MN - the first to raise taxes and the last to make any sort of progressive change.  
    That’s funny. Come join us in the Bible Belt and then report back. 
  • OH - come for vacation leave on probation 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Fl. - Come for vacation and never leave....
  • My state sucks for a number of reasons and then does weird stuff out of character like legalize supressors.  It's just odd.
  • Fl. - Come for vacation and never leave....
    The Trumps are moving their residency to Florida.  Huge savings on taxes vs NY.  No state tax on pensions either, unlike Kansas which charges 6% state tax on money I draw from my IRA!
  • RRP
    Or live in nearly bankrupt and corrupt IL where 4 of our previous 6 governors have gone to federal prison!