Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on creating a small garden

Options
So now that we have moved into our house. My wife and I are wanting to build a small vegetable garden. We have plenty of space but being new to this we don't want one that's not manageable.  Our plan is to mostly grow herbs, garlic, peppers, onions, maybe some cucumbers or squash, and tomatoes. My question is how do I get started? How big of an area will I need to grow the items above? Are these items difficult to grow/ maintain? I'm in North Texas by the way.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    look at raised beds, 42 to 48 inch wide so you can reach the middle makes it easier to weed.  i planted mine on a ground seap (underground spring) no watering needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Get a copy of any edition of Mel Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening".

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Just don’t use treated wood for the raised beds, toxins leak into the soil. Put in 4 or 5 foot wire cages for the cucumbers to climb on the North side of the bed.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Raised beds for sure. Cucs grow well on a trellis. 

The raised bed let's you control the soil that goes in it. Start with good quality top soil and I like to add peat moss and manure. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    Options
    some plants grow well together, some dont

did the steak and weave method with the tomatoes this year, never going back to cages.

with the tomatoes get some early ones and some late ones, makes for a longer season. and plant indeterminate tomatoes, the determinate ones all harvest at once. the indeterminate ones keep putting out tomatoes til the season ends

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Just don’t use treated wood for the raised beds, toxins leak into the soil. Put in 4 or 5 foot wire cages for the cucumbers to climb on the North side of the bed.
    Seriously? Now I have to start all over again..........

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    You can grow that in a few pots. No need for a bed. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    weber kettle makes a great herb garden in the grilling area.

make sure to really contain mint and horseradish well, they tend to explode into the yard. the mint even grows in the lake =)

fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Seriously? Now I have to start all over again..........
    Sorry but I have been on gardening forum since 1997. I also redid several piers and bridge fenders. We couldn’t use the green treated wood where people might touch it with bare skin.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Cracked Egg bases make nice herb gardens if your dealer will let you keep it. Mine wouldn't.

I would suggest container gardening at first until you figure out what you want to do. You can DIY a container garden if your that type or Earth Boxes work great for starting out. https://earthbox.com/

• BugFreak72
    Options
    Wow great thread. Thanks for all the info. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’m pretty new to back yard, small scale gardening. One decision I made was to try to grow items that I couldn’t get locally. We grow lots of herbs.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I would take a soil sample to your local soil and water district, They can recommend fertilizer apps.  Till it, plant it, run a soaker hose on a timer so you don't have to worry about watering.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    At your new home, do you have rabbits and other type critters around? Depending on how many and type, you may need to consider some burrow resistant fencing.  Before adding that feature, I had to lower the rabbit population (-13).
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    At your new home, do you have rabbits and other type critters around? Depending on how many and type, you may need to consider some burrow resistant fencing.  Before adding that feature, I had to lower the rabbit population (-13).
    Haven’t seen any rabbits yet. I’ll take note though.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Great suggestions so far. Keep em coming. Any particular types of peppers you folks recommend? What types of quantities do I need to plant to ensure a good yield?

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    As @YukonRon suggested, give thought to the critters that might want to enjoy the fruits of your labors.  I spent the summer of 2018 trying to fend off persistent attacks from squirrels and chipmunks.  They won.  I didn’t bother this past summer - and I found it to be a much more peaceful summer...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Great suggestions so far. Keep em coming. Any particular types of peppers you folks recommend? What types of quantities do I need to plant to ensure a good yield?
    if its full sun you should be able to grow every pepper there is down there. up here in maine i have problems with a few as the season is so short. jalapenos, thai, cayenne are easy. ghost and scorpian need more time and sometimes i get some and sometimes the frost in the fall wins out.  pruning the peppers is key in the first month, your season is long enough to do two or three prunings. this gives you a big bush with lots of peppers
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    In Austin we have always had better luck planting several varieties of cherry and pear tomatoes than with larger tomatoes.  We plant early and most years get to replace plants that start to play out and we can get a second season in.  The smaller tomatoes give you a great variety of tomatoes every day and the surplus actually freezes very well for sauces, etc down the road.  San Marzanos and Roma’s also do well.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    In Austin we have always had better luck planting several varieties of cherry and pear tomatoes than with larger tomatoes.  We plant early and most years get to replace plants that start to play out and we can get a second season in.  The smaller tomatoes give you a great variety of tomatoes every day and the surplus actually freezes very well for sauces, etc down the road.  San Marzanos and Roma’s also do well.
    those san marzanos really produce well up here, ive had them reach 12 feet in our short season and covered with tomatoes
    fukahwee maine

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018
    You did not say if you was going to do a container/box style garden or a traditional in ground garden. With that said, if you are doing a traditional in ground garden, invest in a tiller. It will save you tons of labor. Best money you will ever spend. 
    If you are doing a container or box garden, forget the tiller. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Just accept that you'll plant everything too close the first year and wind up with an overgrown mess the first season. Squash and tomatoes take up a lot of room... more than you realize when planting the seedlings. Each season you'll have more and more success. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    @TEXASBGE2018
    You did not say if you was going to do a container/box style garden or a traditional in ground garden. With that said, if you are doing a traditional in ground garden, invest in a tiller. It will save you tons of labor. Best money you will ever spend. 
    If you are doing a container or box garden, forget the tiller. 

Sorry it will be Container/box style. Above ground. Plan to make a box at least 4ft by 10ft but could go as big as I need to. May even do (2) 4ft by 10ft's side by side or an L shape. The area I'm considering putting it in is roughly 30ft by 40ft so plenty of room. It will be within 30ft of a garden hose or I may tie in to my existing sprinkler system and add a drip system. Haven't decided on all that yet hence the asking for tips/advice.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    The area towards the far end fence is where I plan to put it. That area is roughly 30ft wide and it’s about 30-40ft from that fence to the back corner of my house.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Morning sun afternoon shade
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Morning sun afternoon shade

That area gets sun most of the day. That picture was taken at about 6PM

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Google raised bed gardens and view images.  So many neat ideas to make your garden into yard art as well as a garden.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.