Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Fitbit or Apple Watch

Options
The doctor said I was too porky and recommended I get a Fitbit.  My daughter said I might as well get an Apple Watch.  I carry an iPhone 6.  You tech guys out there, what say you?  When it comes to hi-tech, I usually sit here.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have both and really prefer the Fitbit, love the software of the Fitbit. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tbutleriv
    Options
    I have neither but I would say the Apple Watch. Fitness tracker plus everything else it can do...
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I had the original Apple Watch- I won it at a tradeshow, really didnt like it so I gave it to my Daughter.
    -Had to charge every night
    -If you use it for exercise likely charging in day AND overnight
    -I had 38mm, 43mm would have been better

Bought a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ I found refurb for a great price instead
    -5 day battery life
    -still get same alerts I wanted (text, phone, others) like the Apple Watch
    -I already am in the Garmin EcoSystem with all my Mountain Biking so it was an easy sync to Garmin App

You can get an Apple Watch 3 for ~$200-$230 right now though.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I have a Garmin vivofit 3 and would definitely recommend it - I really like the app interface, and I LOVE the fact that it takes a regular battery and I don't need to charge it regularly.  I did get some extra bands that have a regular watch/belt type clasp rather than the factory one.  Around $50 on Amazon, plus maybe $10 for the different bands.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Have had apple watches since they were released. I had a Fitbit before that. For a while I wore both. I liked the visual data Fitbit collected on heart rate, and sleep data. I now just use the Apple Watch 4 exclusively. I get most of the same data, but my watch is an extension of my phone. It has cellular data as well so I can leave my phone at home. My job is such that I am always on call so I have to be tethered all the time. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If you are looking for strictly health analytics take a look at a whoop strap.  https://www.whoop.com/  I don't personally have one yet, but contemplating it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm somewhat of a Luddite. What's the benefit of a FitBit or Apple watch in this regard?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm somewhat of a Luddite. What's the benefit of a FitBit or Apple watch in this regard?
    You can have your fitness device report to an app like My Fitness Pal. It will report calories burned through activity to help manage your calorie balance.
    I use MFP and have my activity set to "sedentary". My base caloric needs for an average day teaching is about 1900 calories per day. When I run or ride my bike the additional calories are reported. So if I go ride 25 miles I might have an additional 700 calories or so I need to consume... I'll burn 2600 calories that day.

I have a Garmin Fenix watch - but I would say it is only worth the money if you are a dedicated endurance enthusiast (running or cycling).
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    i put one of these devices on for a weekend, i think it was called a smart band.  blood pressure was way off, not sure how it even measured it.  everytime you raise a beer it counts it as a step. just fishing 8 hours in the boat it measured out 20 running miles, i do move around in the boat alot changing speeds, lures, checking lines etc but 20 miles =) dont trust these gimmicks, get a dog, walk the dog, eat less. when i said the blood pressure readings were off, i was getting 90/40 and im closer to 130/90 on meds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    i put one of these devices on for a weekend, i think it was called a smart band.  blood pressure was way off, not sure how it even measured it.  everytime you raise a beer it counts it as a step. just fishing 8 hours in the boat it measured out 20 running miles, i do move around in the boat alot changing speeds, lures, checking lines etc but 20 miles =) dont trust these gimmicks, get a dog, walk the dog, eat less. when i said the blood pressure readings were off, i was getting 90/40 and im closer to 130/90 on meds
    Every piece of technology certainly has limitations and will give errors in certain situations - riding in a boat may be a prime example. Certainly people lost weight or maintained weight for many years without them. Eating less food certainly is a simple and time honored solution.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    My employer made all employees (275) participate in a wellness program.  You needed a Fitbit to store exercise data, and then download to Vitality’s website weekly.  What a PITA.  I have not worn a watch in years, but do exercise daily without the need to monitor anything!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Every piece of technology certainly has limitations and will give errors in certain situations - riding in a boat may be a prime example. Certainly people lost weight or maintained weight for many years without them. Eating less food certainly is a simple and time honored solution.
    reeling a line in to check for weeds counts as running, it counts arm movement, not feet ;) if i talked with my hands i would be an athlete with these things
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    You don't need a smart watch to tell you to exercise.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have a FitBit Charge 3.  Small lightweight and simple.  I interface with it through the phone app more than anything else.  And it syncs to the WeightWatcher app to get me Activity Points.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I am a big fan of my Fitbit 3. The app integration with my phone tells me all I need. I like the sleep tracking as well as the 5+ day battery life. I also don’t want notifications on anything other than my phone. My wife has cardiac issues so we got her an Apple Watch for some of the health monitoring/notification capabilities. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Apple watch guy here. It's a key piece for making my day easier. Voice notes, calls, reading texts, checking email coming in, asking Siri stupid stuff and paying for coffee...oh and the added health app data.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    reeling a line in to check for weeds counts as running, it counts arm movement, not feet ;) if i talked with my hands i would be an athlete with these things
    Maybe wear it on your ankle?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My doctor thinks I would benefit from these gadgets.  Probably so.  I’ve slowed down since getting my hip replaced last winter.  I’m sure that’s the hitch in my giddy-up, but I’ve always been beefy.  I guess I have a new hobby.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Apple Watch it can even be your tv remote
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I I had an Apple Watch 3 I liked it ok battery life.  The fitness rings can bring out some competitiveness in you by making you want to complete them daily and increases goals over time.  However, I was walking into a store and the wind caught the door and it hit my wrist and destroyed the screen. 

Would I buy one again?  Yes but not full retail I would, but probably go back a couple of generations. 
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm not trying to change the subject too much. 

I was thinking about getting one of these. A few different brands were mentioned. But I'd like one that doesn't require you to sign up for a monthly plan or send your data to their server. Does such a thing exist?
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I own Apple stock in my portfolio. I think everyone should buy Apple products. 

Disclosure: I do not own any Apple products. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
     I got out of the habit of wearing watches and rings back in the 90’s. It was a bit hazardous around construction machinery. If I were to get one it would have to be one of the bracelet type Fitbits . I am typing this on my Apple 8 plus.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I don’t wear either as I don’t need a daily reminder that I’m out of shape. I have heard of the replacement cost of Apple Watch screens beinh high enough that you just have to buy a new watch and that the screens aren’t that durable. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I don’t wear either as I don’t need a daily reminder that I’m out of shape. I have heard of the replacement cost of Apple Watch screens beinh high enough that you just have to buy a new watch and that the screens aren’t that durable. 
    This, non corporate Apple dealer (we don’t have an Apple store here) told me they basically replace the internals with a screen break, the case and battery are basically all that are original after a screen repair. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I was gifted the Apple Watch for my burfday back in July. It has some solid health tracking and some features that are very helpful in support of my lifestyle. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GeezerSteve
    Options
    I've had an apple watch for about 2 1/2 years or so. I was having heart trouble and wanted to use the cardiology apps in the watch. I have done that, although I quit wearing it to bed to track sleep. It would wake me up if my pulse dropped to 48 bpm (almost every night). I have also used the Kardia with the iphone - that showed the doctor there was a new problem with my ticker that he couldn't find at the office. Saved me from having a 3 op for atrial flutter! I don't think a fitbit can do that kind of stuff.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Fred, start out with something cheaper - see if it helps.  For most people, it won’t matter how accurate the mileage is, etc., but what you want is something that is more objective than how much exercise or movement you think you had each day.  We’re all too subjectively optimistic when we try to gauge on our own level of activity day to day.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I looked at Fitbits today. That were strictly Android.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I think I’m going to hold off and let Wilma surprise me at Christmas with the Apple gen3.  My oldest has one and highly recommended it.  We would also enjoy unofficial tech support on speed dial.  For $225+|- on Amazon, it seems like a good thing to find under the tree this Christmas.
    Flint, Michigan