Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham finishing early

Options
Taking an @egret ham for pot luck, smoking at 250, currently at IT 130.  Plan to pull at 140, looks like it's gonna finish at least two hours early.  Never done this before, do I FTC it or is there a better way? TIA for any advice. 

canuckland

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I have not been down that road either, but 140*F is the number as you well know.  Given that ham is great at about any temp, I would give it a cooling rack rest to stop the carry-over cooking and then FTC.  But, that's all I've got.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    @lousubcap Thanks, almost at 140, great idea letting it cool before FTC.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You’ll likely be fine letting it cool on a rack prior to travel. 

I haven’t done the egret ham before, so I don’t know how much the crust matters. You will lose some of that if you FTC. If you can keep it warm below 140F that will likely  save the crust , as it is considerably below the boiling point of water, so I reckon that moisture loss shouldn’t be much of an issue. 

Lastly, what about just letting the egg temp ramp down to slow down the cook?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking I did ramp down and bought an extra half hour, resting now. May just cover with high dome pan and transport in cooler, don't want the foil to ruin the crust/glaze. Thanks
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    To wrap this up ....

After rack cooling a bit, covered with inverted deep pan, dropped in cooler and covered with towels.  It was lukewarm at eating time.  Thanks for above advice.

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Canugghead Thanks for the follow-up.  Glad it worked out.  Feedback is a great way to improve the process and too often the return serve never happens. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Color looks good. Glad it worked out.

Is that a  pre-sliced ham? I usually do a ham around the holidays, but am yet to try egret's recipe or a pre-sliced one.  I've heard that the pre-sliced ones stay moist, so I may try one this year. 

• Canugghead
    edited October 2019
    Options

@lousubcap
    Better late than never, but I'm also guilty of not following through many times  :)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited October 2019
    Options

@caliking
    It was pre sliced, was looking for unsliced but they didn't have any.
    Pros and cons: takes rub better but can't hold injected maple syrup. Only the flat half was pre sliced, it actually came out drier due to more exposed surface area, OTOH the unsliced cone half came out more moist!

I threw in few twigs of apricot and cherry.

edit: made lentil soup with the bone today, yum!

canuckland
  • caliking
    Options

@caliking
    It was pre sliced, was looking for unsliced but they didn't have any.
    Pros and cons: takes rub better but can't hold injected maple syrup. Only the flat half was pre sliced, it actually came out drier due to more exposed surface area, OTOH the unsliced cone half came out more moist!

I threw in few twigs of apricot and cherry.

edit: made lentil soup with the bone today, yum!

That's what I was worried about. Guess I will stick to an uncut ham, but will try egret's recipe. 

I LOVE ham leftovers! The bone goes in soup or stock, sliced for sammiches, hash, and other stuff. One of the things I really look forward to every holiday season :)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Ham bone 4 beans.  Great cook!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95