Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deck Grill Mat recommendation

Options
I have two eggs now, so I keep one on the deck for daily cooks, and one away from the house for long overnights or generally cooking when I'm not home (so, if Humpty Dumpty decides to crack open, I don't lose the house).

Anyway, I just came across an old post of mine (linked below) which I want to share.

I was looking for a deck mat to put under the egg to catch ash.  With many overpriced and underserving options out there, somebody suggested a $10 sheet of Hardi-Backer board which I put under my egg almost 3 years ago and it has served me well. I trimmed the corners so it looked nice and would even put the trimmed triangles out in front of the vent on long cooks to catch any ashes that might fly out.

Amazingly it never broke down with weather.  I was sure that thing would fall apart by now.

I recently got rid of it because I purchased a table for my deck egg which has granite to catch the ashes and such.

I noticed that the cheap wooden box that I used to store eggcessories was leaking so I took out that old weathered piece of hardi-backer, hit it with some spray paint, and now its a new cover for my box lid.  Stuff is solid!

Anyway, if you are a new Egg owner and want something to put under your egg.  Consider a sheet of hardi backer board. It served me well, safely caught all embers, no burns in my deck (and I did not even have any water stains and such on my deck from leaving it down for a few years).

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Nice re-use there!

If you don't mind I would like to add a comment to your summation of (and I did not even have any water stains and such on my deck from leaving it down for a few years).

While the preachers here warn to never use a BGE on a wooden deck others say they use grill mat boards which actually are 4 to 8 times more expensive than your solution! The only warning that may not be remembered before it is too late is in some climates those grill matts often time harbor moisture which causes mold and mildew to damage the deck material. Also where direct sunlight is involved they can cause the deck material to never fade like the rest.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    RRP said:
    Nice re-use there!

If you don't mind I would like to add a comment to your summation of (and I did not even have any water stains and such on my deck from leaving it down for a few years).

While the preachers here warn to never use a BGE on a wooden deck others say they use grill mat boards which actually are 4 to 8 times more expensive than your solution! The only warning that may not be remembered before it is too late is in some climates those grill matts often time harbor moisture which causes mold and mildew to damage the deck material. Also where direct sunlight is involved they can cause the deck material to never fade like the rest.
    You are correct.  I kind of figured I would take a hit with colorization or mold, but it was worth it to not burn my house down.  :) So, it was just a bonus when I moved things recently and saw no notable color difference. It's an older deck, though.  So I suppose all it's fading has already occurred.  =)
    LBGE/Maryland