Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Urgent Gasket issue - Rutland Install with little cure time

HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited October 2019 in EggHead Forum
Been away from the forum (and, sadly, my eggs) for a while but getting back into the swing of things. When I first opened them this evening, found the gasket in bad shape so I figured it was finally time to install the Rutland  (ordered them from @RRP  a long time ago but never installed).

Cleaned away the old and was about to install the new when I saw the 24 hour cure period in the instructions. :open_mouth:

I'm having company over tomorrow and need to cook! Ugh!

Thoughts on how to handle? What happens if I don't allow the cure period? Should I head to my dealer and get a regular gasket in the morning?

Thanks!
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• maybe try not having a gasket for tomorrows cook
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2019
    I would roll no gasket and just be careful when closing the dome and don’t let it slam because it will be ceramic to ceramic if you don’t have any gasket material left.   

There are several here that run gasket free 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Go with what you need to do, give it the best cure possible and if an issue after that then order another from @RRP.  You will be well ahead with the Rutland even if it takes a "do-over".  Easy to write as it is not my time being consumed here.  But I suspect you will be just fine...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    And should you go nekked with the gasket you can use HDAF on the base (layers if required) to deal with any major air-gaps to get thru the near-term cooks and manage the cook temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    We have been gone tonight and just got home! You have already been given good advice - go without a gasket until you have time to install it properly! Permatex needs the 24 hours to cure. It is a chemical cure - NOT a heat cure.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HofstraJet
    Thanks, everyone. Gonna run naked and see what happens. Cheating and using a flameboss so that should help things run smoothly.  Will report back.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Good luck!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    I'm probably not far behind you on putting a new gasket on.  Mine got a little crispy recently...
    NC - LBGE
  • HofstraJet
    Is Permtex Ultra Copper still the right one? I found a tube of that and the red RTV next to my gaskets. And do they get too old to use? They must be a few years old by now, but never opened. 

PS - ribs on with no gasket and it’s managing.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Is Permtex Ultra Copper still the right one? I found a tube of that and the red RTV next to my gaskets. And do they get too old to use? They must be a few years old by now, but never opened. 

PS - ribs on with no gasket and it’s managing.
    I think Permtex Ultra Copper is still the recommended adhesive.
    As far as a old tube goes, In the past anytime I have had an old tube, it was always bad. It tends to dry out in the tube.
  • lousubcap
    Open the tube and it will work (like toothpaste) or not.  I installed a new gasket about 6 months ago with a tube (unopened until use) that I bought in 2013.  There is an expiration date but like toothpaste and most everything else, only a guide.  No health safety expert here B)