Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How big to make Fatties??

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What size fatties to ya'll start out with? Going to attempt them for the first time with Jimmy Dean store bought. The sausage I bought is in a one pound tube, is this the proper size or do you combine more than one? It's hard to see the scale of size on the postings I reaearched so I'm wondering how long the 1 pounders take to cook?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    orion11,[p]Just using the roll of sausage straight out of the wrapper is the standard size. I've made my own out of different sausage mixtures, and done them up to 2.5 lb, but those are really more like a meat loaf.[p]Cook them around 250 dome, until they reach an internal of 170. I usually do them direct, and so need to turn them several times, so the fire crisps up all sides. The time varies depending on the thickness of the fattie, and how warm it was when put on. Mine usually take a bit under an hour and a half.[p]I find I often get too carried away with the rub, and the combination of salt in the rub and salt already in the sausage can be a bit much.[p]gdenby

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    gdenby,
    Many thanks for the tips, helped out alot!! I will probably try indirect today, making them for New Year's snacks so I dont know about having a "crisp" crust for that.

• orion11,
    i do them indirect with a drip pan......
    see thirdeye's link below.

[ul][li]fatties[/ul]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    gdenby,
    You should try Bluesmoke's Moon Shadow's rub... low in salt, high in flavor!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Wardster,
    thats really good stuff

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it