Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kabab Ravioli

For some reason, a ravioli thread posted by @theyolksonyou a long time ago has been stuck in my head. After @SciAggie recently sent me some tips, making pasta of some kind from scratch was on the cards this week.

Very complicated pasta recipe - Tipo 00 flour 100g + 1 egg. 

Chopped up some leftover beef bihari kabab from a Pakistani place I like, added shredded mozz, cilantro, and pecorino romano to bring it all together.

Ran the dough through pasta rollers and made the ravioli.

Plated shot. Sauce was EVOO, a bit of star anise, red onions, crushed dried red chile. Crushed San Marzano tomatoes, garlic poached in olive oil. Added a spoon or two of the sauce from a VERY tomatoey goat masala from the same Pakistani joint. Figured it would add some depth of flavor like tomato paste does. 

This did not suck. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Whoa! You clearly have too much time in your hands these days. Awesome. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • My goodness. That looks wonderful.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Wow! That looks delicious. I hope you were satisfied with the pasta recipe. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Oh My Lord!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    WOW!!! @smokingal you have been put on notice.. Fantastic post and plated pic.  :bow:
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks like you ate gooood!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Incredible! I'd smash that
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Welp, I’ll never post another ravioli thread out of embarrassment 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    what...no squid ink =) those look killer

Image result for squid ink ravioli

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    SciAggie said:
    Very much so! Thanks for breaking it down for me. Easy to reminder ratios, and I like that it uses whole eggs so I’m not left with extra egg whites. Kind of kicking  myself that I haven’t been doing this more. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That pasta recipe looks so easy I probably couldn't screw it up. Who am I kidding? Looks awesome.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    Looks like you ate gooood!
    It was delicious :) . Boiled the scraps left from the ravioli and went back for a second plate. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Wow Cali just wow
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    Very much so! Thanks for breaking it down for me. Easy to reminder ratios, and I like that it uses whole eggs so I’m not left with extra egg whites. Kind of kicking  myself that I haven’t been doing this more. 
    I picked it up from watching the "Pasta Grannies" channel on Youtube. Those old gals didn't have time for complex and hard to remember recipes. 
    The biggest lesson I had to absorb was how important it is to let the dough rest for 30+ minutes. It hydrates so much more and absorbs more flour - plus the gluten relaxes a bunch.

Anyway - great work on the recipe. You'll be a pasta snob now and won't use dried pasta now that you know how easy it is to make by hand.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    I picked it up from watching the "Pasta Grannies" channel on Youtube. Those old gals didn't have time for complex and hard to remember recipes. 
    The biggest lesson I had to absorb was how important it is to let the dough rest for 30+ minutes. It hydrates so much more and absorbs more flour - plus the gluten relaxes a bunch.

Anyway - great work on the recipe. You'll be a pasta snob now and won't use dried pasta now that you know how easy it is to make by hand.
    I've started doing my own pasta, and I agree - very easy and well worth the effort.
    NOLA
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Excellent work @caliking.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:

There was a noticeable difference after the dough had rested. 

I mixed all 100g of flour into the dough and then let it rest. Any difference between that vs leaving some out and adding it in later?

• SciAggie
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:
    caliking said:
    SciAggie said:

There was a noticeable difference after the dough had rested. 

I mixed all 100g of flour into the dough and then let it rest. Any difference between that vs leaving some out and adding it in later?
    Not in texture or flavor. It’s just a little easier to add that last 10 grams or so after the rest. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    By the way - the size egg matters (obviously). I use large eggs and can only get them to take about 85 grams of flour. XL eggs will take 100 grams. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Gave Giada a run for her money  =)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    By the way - the size egg matters (obviously). I use large eggs and can only get them to take about 85 grams of flour. XL eggs will take 100 grams. 
    I must have pounded it into submission then! I used a large egg (about 60g out of the shell)  and kneaded it well until all of the flour was incorporated. Then let it rest. 

Maybe I'll knead it less in the beginning, then  knead in the remaining flour after the rest and see if it's any different. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Amazing (as always)!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I've never made my own pasta. This makes me want to. Nice work man.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Ashish, you frequently put the rest of us to shame
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • caliking
    texaswig said:
    I've never made my own pasta. This makes me want to. Nice work man.
      Do it. It's literally as simple as posted above. You can roll it out thin and cut the dough if you don't have pasta rollers. It's good stuff.

• caliking
    johnnyp said:
    Ashish, you frequently put the rest of us to shame
     That's high praise. Thanks. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited October 2019
    WoW! I keep coming back just to look !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Dude, that just looks fantastic!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX