Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Changing out base

Options
Hello,

The base on my egg has been cracked for a while now but it has just recently start to get big enough for me to want to replace it. I already have a new base in waiting. My question is, can i re use all of the hardware that holds the base and top together (screws etc.)? I am mainly concerned about the screws in the back of the egg, that are bent. 

If I am not able to use these screws, what is the best course of actions for getting another set of hardware?

Thanks,
Chris
Dallas, TX

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    The two bolts on the top and bottom band can be easily replaced. Just take them to a hardware store and match them up. They have to be grade 5 as you want them to bend and not break. Grade 8 is far too brittle
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Try loosening only the nut/bolt in the back for the lower band. Lift off the entire band assembly and the dome. Lay it on a soft surface. Get your new base in place and reverse and drop dome and bands back on. As long as you can retighten the lower bolt all is good. Have moved my large, XL and small eggs this way in the past.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RustyBeavers
    Options
    Ahh ok makes sense. Thank you for the tips 
    Dallas, TX

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    The instructions say tighten them until they bend. It also says the bolt will break before the ceramics.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RustyBeavers
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    The instructions say tighten them until they bend. It also says the bolt will break before the ceramics.
    My main concern was unscrewing the bent bolts and trying to use them again, hoping I can avoid that with one of the above suggestions 
    Dallas, TX