Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked then Sous Vide?

Options
Time crunch.... making pulled pork for work lunch meeting tomorrow. Threw 8lbs on the egg- turbo for about 4 hrs until stalled around 165/170. It was around 11 PM and I couldn’t wrap and finish and then wait for it to cool down etc before bed. Decided to vacuum seal and drop in the sous vide until tomorrow. Question I have- recipes call for going 18-24 hrs in bath at 165. I only have 12 hrs... should I set higher, say 175 or just go at 165?  Anyone ever tried this?

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    You need final temp to get to 195 or so to be able to pull. Not sure you can get that high on the sous vide. You could go with the oven. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My understanding is different. Connective tissue start breaking down just a few degrees above muscle cooking. It goes very slowly till 180F, and so meat will be pullable usually by 190F. However, many hours in SV will do the same thing. For instance, short ribs will be very tender after 3 days at 135F.

My guess is that 12 hours at 165 may be too long, and the meat muscle itself will be quite de-natured. Edible but mushy. I'd be inclined to drop the temp to around 145F.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    gdenby said:
    My understanding is different. Connective tissue start breaking down just a few degrees above muscle cooking. It goes very slowly till 180F, and so meat will be pullable usually by 190F. However, many hours in SV will do the same thing. For instance, short ribs will be very tender after 3 days at 135F.

My guess is that 12 hours at 165 may be too long, and the meat muscle itself will be quite de-natured. Edible but mushy. I'd be inclined to drop the temp to around 145F.
    Never in this situation before but I would follow @gdenby advice.
    Even if it's not 100% pullable it should still be tender enough to chop and eat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The meat is "done" now, just not pullable. You might consider cutting it into chunks and pulling it with a stand mixer. I have done it with pork loin and it works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEX5coddlUs&t=9s

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    Update: I put the meat in sous vide right out of the egg around 11pm last night. Removed around noon (12-13 hrs at 165). Pulled perfectly tender and moist!  Other than losing the bark from soaking in the juices it was great!  Works nicely in a time crunch but sacrifices a little texture. 

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI