Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Lawn more burning oil question

Options
John Deere L100 riding mower.   Burns oil and has to be refilled after every mowing.   But there is NO smoke coming out of the engine.   When the oil cap is opened though, I do see smoke coming out of it.

This is not a head gasket issue right?  If so, I would see smoke coming out of the engine?

Worn piston rings?  Would or wouldn't there be smoke if so?

Help me troubleshoot this!

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    What viscosity are you using?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Do you see oil on the outside of the engine anywhere, or on the ground. Refilling after every mow, is a lot of oil.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    No oil on ground or engine but I'll look closer.     10W-30.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I'm going to guess it's coming from the crankshaft seal where the main drive pulley is. Probably being flung underneath the mower 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    What's the spark plug look like?
  • rifrench
    Options
    Firstly, how many hours on the engine?   Which engine is it?  Has the oil been changed according to the owner's manual, preferably more often? 
    And look at the exterior of the engine all over, under & etc.

Then we can talk about other problems. Air cooled engines typically use more oil during hot weather, and when the oil viscosity is too thin for conditions

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would do a compression and leak test if you don't find any external leaks.  Oil usually enters the combustion chamber through the valves, rings or head gasket.  Does it smoke when you start it?
    Options
    I agree with checking the spark plug. If the white porcelain is brown, you are burning oil. If not, you are leaking oil.
    Colored (red, blue) porcelain is dye from fuel and nothing to worry about. When you know if you are burning or leaking, you can look closer in the right area.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    odie91 said:
    John Deere L100 riding mower.   Burns oil and has to be refilled after every mowing.   But there is NO smoke coming out of the engine.   When the oil cap is opened though, I do see smoke coming out of it.

This is not a head gasket issue right?  If so, I would see smoke coming out of the engine?

Worn piston rings?  Would or wouldn't there be smoke if so?

Help me troubleshoot this!

how long is a" mowing"? how much oil? With no smoke I would look for a leak under the engine.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.