Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I meant was ...

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guys and Gals,[p]I apprecitate the tips on exercise, et.al., however, I'm interested in hearing what you are cooking that isn't "bad" for you. I know, I know ... all things in moderation. C'mon ... share some recipes and ideas![p]Doc

Comments

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    FatDog,[p]Wish I could help but everything I cook is "bad" for you even though it tastes great.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • 2dec06_2-002.jpg
    <p />FatDog,
    how can this be "bad" for you?
    throw together a simple green salad and you're done.[p]stick with seafood and lean meats and still eat like a king![p]you coulda ate at rally's.

• Essex County
    Options
    FatDog,
    We got our large egg about 3 years ago and then someone in the family had a gall bladder problem. That meant no fat. We did a lot of boneless chicken breasts. Lots of marinades. I need to try Mollyshark's Ancho-Cherry sauce on these. The other thing we did is grilled corn on the cob rubbed with a mix of chili powder, salt, black pepper, cocoa, and honey. Pull back the husk, rub the ears with the mix, put the husk back in place and roast at 400 for 15-20 minutes, turning several times.
    Other suggestions are tuna steaks, any firm white fish, shrimp and scallops (scallops tossed with DP Raging River and then grilled on a skewer...)[p]Just a few quick thoughts.[p]Paul

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    FatDog,
    aaah
    gotcha.[p]sorry though, man. can't help you then. we eat what we want, when we want, just not a lot of it.[p]short of drinking karo syrup straight, it's all good.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MCG DAWG
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Funny thing is, shrimp and scallops are actually pretty high in bad cholesterol (LDL) but low in overall fat. Some dispute as to whether it's enough to really mess with your cholesterol count as it may be blanced out by other oils (omega 3 fatty acids) contained in shellfish. [p]Just don't fry them, don't coat them in butter, and eat in moderation.

• MCG DAWG
    Options
    FatDog,[p]I'm a doc so this advice has validity to it. [p]Use leaner cuts of meat such as pork loin and sirloin. Avoid real butter in any recipe. Cut out almost all your bread. Really watch your portions. You can eat a fat cut of meat (ribeye, strip) but do so in smaller portions (4-6oz) and really trim the fat on the edges off prior to eating. [p]As others have mentioned, fish is a great option. Can never go wrong with tuna. Crank the heat up, sear it for about 60-90 seconds a side, and eat away. [p]Get creative with sauces, marinades, and rubs . .but as you've already mentioned really watch out for salt and butter in them. [p]Grill a lot of vegetables, mushrooms, corn, peppers, onions, squash, etc taste great on the egg. Combine that with their high fiber, their nutritional value, their low calories, and their ability to "fill you up" they are a no brainer with any meal. [p]Hope some of that helps.

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Thanks. I just stole a new desktop picture.

• rex clingan
    Options
    Adzuki beans, aka small red beans, are described as causing weight loss in a couple of books on Chinese food cures I have.[p]Eucommia, Chinese rubber tree bark, is known for its effect on lowering blood pressure.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    100_1190.jpg
    <p />FatDog,
    fish gets boring, so change it up a little. seafood casseroles, stews etc. i would skip the cracker crumbs and the bread, but would keep some butter and cheese. portion control still has to be there, thats my down fall, breads are bad, beer is no good, some veggies are higher in calories so get a calorie counter (no reason to waste calories on fattening veggies). lettuce always made me sick feeling afterwards, when i stopped eating it all together a few years back i found that i was less hungry later in the day, i still eat salads, just no lettuce. potatoes and corn are fattening and potaoes are really not good for you, they shouldnt even be considered a vegatable. bread and beer are my biggest down falls, thats where all my weight gain has come from this year. i find i lose weight if i eat eggs in the morning, a piece of cheese at morning break, a small lunch and dinner, and no bread or beer. with that routine, i dont seem to get hungry, but i do miss the beer, whiskey and water doesnt do it for me.
    100_1119.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FatDog,[p]Not sure about egging this one, but it couldn't hurt to try. It's a recipe that I'm itching to try out for my own weight loss endeavor.[p]Turkey Meat Loaf
    .5 lb groud sirloin
    .5 lb ground turkey breast
    2 eggs
    1 cp. whole-wheat crackers, crushed
    .75 cp. diced onion
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    .5 tsp. oregano
    .5 cp. barbecue sauce, plus a little extra[p]Mix beef and turkey until well blended. Mix in remaining ingredients, including the half cup barbecue sauce until well blended. Form into a loaf, throw it on a broiler pan, coat in extra barbecue sauce, cook at 350 for 1 hour.
    Makes about 4 servings that are low in calories and high in protein.[p]Make friends with smaller portions of chicken and fish, while eating moderate amounts of veggies, nuts (almonds in particular - good for your prostate as well!), greens, beans, fruits, all the stuff that you know is good for you. And experiment with recipes. One of my favorites is a whole wheat tortilla with cream cheese, chopped green onion, salsa, leaf lettuce, and lean deli turkey.[p]Good luck!