Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having a hard time with getting the bands back on

Options
I’ve changed gaskets before and I’ve never had an issue getting the bands reattached. Any suggestions? Trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. It seems pretty cut and dry but something isn’t right. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    I’ve changed gaskets before and I’ve never had an issue getting the bands reattached. Any suggestions? Trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. It seems pretty cut and dry but something isn’t right. 
    What size egg?  

Pics of current stage of assembly?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Both large and small

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Here are two but I’m not sure how much it will help.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    What’s the possibility the bands warp over time?

Ronald Reagan

• kl8ton
    Options
    Is there material or a gasket between your bands and the surface of the egg?  Is that what I am seeing?

You will have to "arrest" your hinges with the clips that came with it or zip tie them in the closed position.  

How old are your eggs?  (off topic)  The surface looks vintage.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Skip ahead in this video to about 4:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqXhXgGr5So
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Not sure, Big one is probably 30 years old. Smaller one maybe twenty. Nothing is stuck between the bands and the ceramic. I noticed one of the bolts had bent, so it appears something is putting some pressure on the hardware.has anyone had to replace those parts?

Ronald Reagan

• kl8ton
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Not sure, Big one is probably 30 years old. Smaller one maybe twenty. Nothing is stuck between the bands and the ceramic. I noticed one of the bolts had bent, so it appears something is putting some pressure on the hardware.has anyone had to replace those parts?
    The bolts that tighten the bands on NEED to be bent.  Check their snugness occasionally, especially after high heat cooks.  You may wish to replace them. 

Make sure you use grade 5 bolts/screws as replacements.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    For whatever it's worth your L looks newer than any 30 years old. Plus your spring assist band is 3rd generation also making that newer as well. First there was the scissor hinges, then the locking lever and then the one in your picture. Now there is even a fourth generation.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    That’s the small one and it’s fairly old, but not as ole as my large. If there are any eggers in the Raleigh area, I’d love it if someone could drop by and tell me what I’m doing wrong. 

Ronald Reagan

• Bear 007
    Options
    I just have a question, what is this, it looks like gasket material but maybe I'm looking at it wrong

• kl8ton
    Options
    Where are you located? 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Raleigh NC

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Bear 007... it is felt gasket material, but it’s the original. I hardly use the little one at all and I’ve never done anything to it, so this is from the factory

Ronald Reagan

• kl8ton
    Options
    If a forum member is not local to you,  see if a dealer can swing by and help you.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Bear 007... it is felt gasket material, but it’s the original. I hardly use the little one at all and I’ve never done anything to it, so this is from the factory
    The felt on the lip of the dome shouldn't be there. It shouldn't be under the bands. It should be where the dome and base make contact.

Check out the recent "before and after" post by @Skittletop:

Spruce Up My Egg
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.