Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Lard

Options

Today I'm grilling some pig fat to make lard. I do this most every fall. My neighbor buys whole hogs and keeps the fat. It can smell up a house so it works perfect to do outside on the BGE. A win/win.

As it renders down, I'll look for some bits with some meat. Throw those in a bowl with a favorite rub and enjoy.

250 for 6 hours then down to 225 for remining 2-4 hours.

Here are a few photos of fat and on grill.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My grandpa did that every fall too after a hog butchering, and now I see you're in Minnesota too!  (he didn't have an Egg, though)
    Thanks for the memory!   :)

EDIT:  My own rendering is extremely small-scale: I always pour my breakfast bacon grease into a 28-oz can, and keep it in the cupboard.  I saute onions in it, fry tortillas, etc, and haven't bought any peanut oil in years.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,656
    Options
    I’ve done this in a crockpot but never on the egg. I’ve always poured in mason jars and then freeze after it sits a few days. How do you do yours?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I screen 1 pound into a container and then pour that into a ziplock. I just poured this one and will turn pure white when cool. From there, I store on the freezer and I can break off a piece as needed. I've stored in freezer for over 2 years without affecting it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    5 pounds made. I should get another pound or two.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• sumoconnell
    Options
    I'm making lard too, around my mid-section.. happy Saturday! (Brown liquid induced post)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    And I got 6.5 pounds. Here is the fat after. I could've gotten more but it's late. Also didn't make any crackins but I did eat a few pieces with meat.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• WildmanWilson
    Options
    We killed hogs for many years. I’ve cook many a gallon of lard. It was always the end of a long day and your dog tired. I wouldn’t have traded those days for anything now. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for posting the process
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota